is my network adapter broken?

puma22 06:48 10 Jul 08

Hi,
I have a bt hub, PC and laptop. The laptop is working OK and connects to the internet wirelessly.
The PC is connected wirelessly via a dlink GDWL G122 adapter. I cant connect to the internet but it says that it is connected and signal strength is very good. In the router settings, it also says that the PC is connected.
All has worked fine unitl yesterday. I have tried repairing the connection, unplugging the router and system restore - which for some reason wont resotre back to an earlier point.
I'm wondering if the adapter is working, although the two lights on the top of it suggest that it is.
Any suggestions?

Cheers

Taff™ 10:35 10 Jul 08

There is a conflict between Xp SP3 and the DWL-G122 adapter. click here

You need to check first that this update is compatible with the adapter. Check on the back of the adapter for the Version number.

puma22 10:52 10 Jul 08

Hi,
I thought that this might be the case as it stopped working after a windows update - hence trying to do a system restore. The adapter I have is B1 so it doesnt look like the work around download is compatable. Does this mean a new adapter?

Cheers

Taff™ 09:11 11 Jul 08

No, we`ll stick with this one for the moment - I`ve only ever had one of these adapters fail completely and I`ve used plenty of them. Can you check to see if you have XP SP3 installed.

Do you get any warnings on boot up such as "AirGCFG.exe - Entry Point Not Found
" or "WZCSLDR2.exe - Entry Point Not Found"? If so this is symptomatic of the XP SP3 issue and the fix involves putting an old copy of wlanapi.dll into specific program folders. Go to C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall­ $ and copy the old wlanapi.dll file and paste it into the C:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G and C:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 folders.

If you don`t have XP SP3 and aren`t getting these alerts I suggest you download the latest version of the drivers from D-Link for your adapter and re-install them from scratch.

puma22 10:32 11 Jul 08

Hi,
I have SP3 but am not getting error messages. I seem to be having a problem with uninstall/reinstall. I think a new thread on this in helproom then come back to the wireless issue.

Cheers

puma22 11:05 11 Jul 08

Hi,
I didnt in the end start a new thread as it seems to be just this software that I am having a problem with uninstall/reinstall. It wouldnt uninstall so I reinstalled the latest from the D-link website. It hasnt resolved the issue.
I'm just off to work so will return to it tomorrow and post back what I have done and whether it worked.

Taff™ 12:04 11 Jul 08

Try removing the adapter and then plug it back in again. Does this produce any response from the computer?

puma22 17:18 11 Jul 08

no, tried this but no difference

puma22 09:58 12 Jul 08

Ok,
I have managed to solve the system restore problem but cannot uninstall the dlink software so I'm going to start a new thread in helproom for advice on how to uninstall manually. I'll leave this one open for the timebeing so that I cancome back for the issue on getting the adapter to work.

Taff™ 09:59 12 Jul 08

You say you`re having problems with Uninstall/reinstall. What exactly are these?

The latest driver for version B1 is v3.30 released in June 2008 and available from D-Links site. If you are having problems uninstalling this may help click here

puma22 10:07 12 Jul 08

Hi,
I have opened this thread click here in the helproom but am now going to try the utility tool you suggest. I'll post back in a mo.

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…