My neighbour is also having troubles with .....

Les 15:08 11 Nov 03

a system that dials his ISP (just before the RPC problem!) - he has Windows XP Professional - how do I stop this for him. I have Windows 98SE and havn't a clue where XP is concerned.

Finally, he has problems with his HP 930C jet printer. The orange light is flashing and the book says that this is a cartridge problem. He has removed each cartridge, one at a time, and closed the lid to return the cartridges to the parking position, opened it again and the 'carriage' returns to a position adjacent to a symbol behind them on the plastic bar - with the black one removed this was the symbol representing that, he put that cartridge back, closed the lid, opened it again and the 'carriage' stopped at the symbol representing that - suggesting that was the cartridge causing the flashing orange light.

He assures me that in the past should the colour cartridge be empty then the printer has continued to print with the black cartridge - it's not doing that now - suggesting another reason. The colour cartridge does not appear to be a genuine HP on - instead of bearing the numbers HP 6578 it has only the last trwo digits 78. He has used the printer since fitting this cartridge and it has worked for some time.

Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong?

Les

recap 15:17 11 Nov 03

Hope I am reading this right, the printer is saying that the cartiridge is faulty?

Try holding down the paper feed button for around 10 seconds, I know this may seam a silly thing to do but it has worked for me in the past.

Djohn 15:25 11 Nov 03

For the ISP problem.

Open IE and go to the toolbar, click on tools, then options. Click on the "Connection" tab and put a dot in the circle, "Never dial a connection"

Now it will only dial when he clicks on the IE Icon or the ISP icon. j.

Les 16:00 11 Nov 03

I'll try these after the Blaster problem is cured (fingers crossed -indeed everything crossed! :-)) )

Les

Les 18:45 11 Nov 03

My neighbour sends his thanks - the problems here have been solved, much to his relief.

Recap. It may have sounded silly but that worked or the removal of the blasterworm did - I prefer the former, in fact of reflection I'm sure that it is - I remember clicking in a text file to print it and found that it was lieted in the printer box normally found in the taskbar as a printer error (this was after the blaster fix) then on clicking the text file to print again and then pressing ther extreme right button on the HP 930c the orange light went out and off we went - much to the neighbours delight.

Well done lads and thanks. I will now resume my position on the hook until he runs into trouble again! :-))

Les

Djohn 19:12 11 Nov 03

Invoice from "recap" and myself is in the post! ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…