My Mum wants to be able to talk to friend via PC

Giggle n' Bits 13:50 05 Aug 03

My Mum has a friend on the internet who talks to her using real voice comunication. And she would like to be able to talk back. Personally I think the phone is less hassle but to keep the piece how do I set up this kind of thing for her.

I see in argos headphone sets with mouth piece for £15 - £30 so I take it one of them is suitable. I say argos because if it doesn't work it can get returned hassle free.

So I would plug in one plug to Mike & one plug to headphone on rear of pc audio holes.

What do you need to do in the computer, running WinMe and IO think she will be doing it with MSN or something,

Anyone know how to set up this please. And am I right with the above headset & mike will work ?

barrie_g 14:05 05 Aug 03

For the headset, yes its simply a case of plugging it into your sound card.

If your running ME you will already have MSN Messenger installed find it in your program list, you will be prompted to get a .Net Passport, dont worry about it, it's really just about setting up passwords etc.

Messenger will then "sign in" you will need to then add the hotmail address of your mums friend, this will then show if she is on line if she is it will be a simple matter of clicking her name and clicking "start a voice conversation" your mums friend will then be asked if she will accept the invite if she does they will be able to start talking.

Stuartli 14:39 05 Aug 03

You can buy voice headsets for far, far less than that - try a computer sales outlet, check out computer retailers' bargain sections online or visit a computer fair.

I have an IBM mike with a swivelling joint on the base to allow you to move the mike out of the way - cost was 98p...:-) Voice headsets were not all that much more.

dfghjkl 20:07 05 Aug 03

page 22 of current web user magazine dated 24 july-6 august review of click here or for more info click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…