Is my mouse paranormal - or am I losing it?

PA28 11:29 02 Oct 03

Had an odd experience last evening. Whilst Pinnacle was rendering a video for me, I noticed the mouse pointer started moving of its' own accord. As this is a Microsoft Cordless rodent, I took the batteries out. The pointer continued to move. Then it started to move in a more deliberate fashion and started clicking on program icons. It opened Adobe Photoshop Elements and then successfully selected and opened an image. At this point I put the batteries back in and took control (to which it responded) and closed Elements. Needless to say, Pinnacle had stopped working so I closed that down and engaged Norton Antivirus to do a thorough scan. Again the mouse started to do its own thing and stopped the scan! A second attempt was successful and the machine came up clean. I removed the mouse drivers and reinstalled and - touch wood - everything now appears normal. The computer has been in the same location for over a year and there is no electromagnetic interference as far as I am aware. I have never known anything like this before - random mouse movements yes, but deliberate mouse actions, never.

Has anyone ever had this before? Is there a virus known to portray these symptoms and able to slip through an updated Virus Scanner? Or am I really losing it?.......

Peverelli 11:38 02 Oct 03

Have you got a firewall installed?

woodchip 11:46 02 Oct 03

check for a trojan. It may have loaded a program to take control of you comp

Tog 12:21 02 Oct 03

I presume you were connected to the internet or a network at the time...

There are valid uses for remote desktop programmes (IT Admin and wind-up merchants) but that sounds nasty. If you're running a firewall and AV prog with the latest updates I'd be tempted to contact the support people and ask for advice.

Peverelli 12:33 02 Oct 03

If it's a Trojan then AV may not pick it up. You can get a free Trojan checker (one of many) from here: click here

PA28 13:43 02 Oct 03

Peverelli - yes Zone Alarm. Thanks for the link. Woodchip - thanks, will check. Tog - nope, not connected and standalone. Whatever it is (was?) did it all by itself.

PA28 14:45 02 Oct 03

Just spent a merry hour downloading and running "Swat It" (thanks again Peverelli) to check for Trojans. Checked both drives and all clear. Any other ideas? (PS. system running absolutely fine today!).

dave h 14:56 02 Oct 03

Just an odd thought, it sounds like a 'keypress memory' macro, similar to the ones that you can do in EXcel.

I'm not an Excel expert, but I remember trying there a long time ago........

PA28 16:43 02 Oct 03

Yes, I know what you mean. Come to think of it, it was a bit like watching, in an uncertain manner, those tutorial sessions you can get which literally shows you what to do on screen. Except that the machine seemed to be making it up as it went along, and quite successfully. And before anyone asks the question (as I would be doing were I reading this), this is a genuine thread to which I really don't know the answer.

Stuartli 16:46 02 Oct 03

If the mouse came with a driver it might be worth reinstalling both - otherwise uninstall and reinstall the mouse and Windows driver.

PA28 21:05 02 Oct 03

Thanks - this was my first action and it seems to have cured whatever the problem was as the computer has run fine both this afternoon and this evening. I'm going to tick the box as I've a feeling that this one doesn't have an answer - but if anyone has any suggestions or has experienced anything similar, I'd like to know.

Does Derek Acorah read this forum, I wonder.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…