my monitor is making a screaching noise.

notmeguv 17:48 10 May 04

p4, 2.4ghz. 1024mb ddr. asus p4pe mobo, radeon 9800xt. ive just installed my new radeon 9800xt and everything was going well through windows. but when i launched my far cry game, my monitor made a quiet high pitched screaching noise, and when i accually started playing the game it got worse. so i quit the game and it was ok as soon as my desktop came up. i installed the proper driver. and the monitor is a toshiba 17" crt. any ideas please? thanx.

Totally-braindead 17:51 10 May 04

Does the monitor have speakers on it, is it this thats causing the screeching and does this only happen with Far Cry. If it does then its probably a problem with your sound drivers, try seeing if theres an update available.

notmeguv 18:06 10 May 04

but no, my monitor has no speakers. i turned off my desktop speakers and the noise was still there. it sounds like its coming from the back of the monitor near the tube. ive just tried battlefield vietnam game and that runs fine.

Totally-braindead 18:13 10 May 04

The only thing I can think of is that the computer is trying to force the monitor to use a resolution and refresh rate that it doesn't like, try lowering the graphics on Far Cry say to 800x600 and try and see what it does then. If this cures it then I would say try the website for your monitor manufacturer and see if there is an updated driver for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…