Is my monitor faulty ?

Rodders 21:20 11 May 03

I've got a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 730 monitor which is just 2 years old. It's been a gem for all that time but recently it has started acting oddly.

B>I've just installed the ntl:home broadband software, and the problems have started since then. /B>

At first the problem was a flicker on boot up, which went away once in Windows (ME). The flicker was like horizontal lines and was accompanied by a sound like a grasshopper!

Now the problem seems to have spread into Windows, however it is intermittent. There is also a problem where the screen settings seem to change, i.e. the size of the display and the position. It seems to stretch sideways and then move left and right randomly!

My graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX.

Under the 'Monitors' list in Device Manager there is two entries for 'JC-17W41'. I have no idea if this is correct or if it could be linked to the problem.

Any suggestions would be good...I have read other threads suggesting that it could be a faulty power lead, or the graphics card has come loose or that it is the recent software install that causes the problems. Where should I begin?

woodchip 21:27 11 May 03

Sounds like coincidence, but your monitor may have three year warranty

woodchip 21:28 11 May 03

Sounds like coincidence, but your monitor may have three year warranty

woodchip 21:30 11 May 03

Sorry about that my connection hung up

Cathode 21:31 11 May 03

Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers which may have been corrupted, Nvidia recommend uninstalling the old ones (in add remove programs) before installing new ones . click here

Rodders 15:40 12 May 03

I've installed the new drivers but it hasn't solved the problem. It has changed the appearance of my wallpaper so that the word 'evesham' now has rough edges on the letters instead of smooth!

I'll contact Evesham about the warranty.

Thanks for the help so far.

SEASHANTY 15:57 12 May 03

Any strong magnetic objects near the monitor will cause instability of the picture. You haven't by any chance placed any large loudspeakers close to the monitor? These have a very strong magnetic core and play havoc with CRT's monitor and TV. Shame that you don't have another PC to try the monitor with as this would rule out the fault on one or the other. NTL's broadband installation software t/shooting guide "CorrectConnect" is reputed to cause problems with some computer progs and many users suggest deleting this facility. The NTL didn't even bother installing this when mine was set up. Dunno if this would affect monitors though.

Rodders 19:25 12 May 03

We live in a terraced house, and the PC is next to the wall between us and next door. It's a new house, so the walls are made of paper mache or cardboard and double-sided tape. If the bloke next door has put a big magnet the other side of us, do you think it could have an effect through the wall?

He's an odd chap, so I don't want to ask him until I know the likelihood of this being the problem!!

woodchip 19:29 12 May 03

If he as speakers, or such like yes. It may be worth moving your monitor to see what affect it as on it

woodchip 19:31 12 May 03

For the three year warranty, you would have to go through Mitsubishi Monitors

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos