Is My Modem Faulty

Border View 16:40 10 Nov 05

I have a Speed Touch 330 and have been with Pipex for just over a year. For the last three weeks I've been getting a dropped connection on my 512 link.

The modem is small silver oval and with two green lights. When I'm on the net the left hand green light flickers sometimes. When I get a dropped connection the right hand green light starts to flash and I get no dial tone. If I reboot it sometimes brings it back to a constant green light. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers, checked my filters and connections.

Pipex technical support have been quite good and got BT to sort the line out, but it looks like my problems are starting again after two days of relative good connections.

I dont do huge downloads, simply access various sites for family history research and reading PC Advisor.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Gongoozler 16:58 10 Nov 05

Hi Barmoor. I've had a look at the Speedtouch manual click here(en).pdf, and one of the LED's is monitoring the USB port. If that LED flashes then there is a problem with traffic passing through that port. It may be that you would do better running the modem from a PCI USB card.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 10 Nov 05

Left hand green LED USB flickers as data is passed from net thoug moden to PC

Right hand green LED ADSL If you lose this one then its the phone line thats faulty, either BT or problem with a filter.

Border View 19:32 10 Nov 05

Many thanks Gongoozler and Fruite Bat. Looks like its the BT line cos the filters are OK. Must be cos I swapped them. Thank you both for responding.

Gongoozler 20:03 10 Nov 05

Hi Barmoor. Try unplugging everything except the modem. See if it works then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…