My modem is driving me crazy!!!

fudge 15:22 25 Aug 03

I've tried here for help with this before but no luck, so I'm trying again because the problem won't go away.

When I use the modem on my Toshiba laptop to connect to the internet (using any ISP) about 1 in 3 attempts causes a complete lock-up. It never happens if used for phone or fax use.

I'm using WinME, IE6 and it's a Toshiba software modem. The fault always occurs just as it starts to 'verify password', at which point it either connects perfectly or the computer freezes. The only way to get out of it is to turn off the computer. It's been happening for months and I've lost loads of unsaved data in that time. It's driving me mad.

It's had a new modem and I've downloaded new drivers but I suspect a software conflict. I've tried disabling, one at a time, all programmes that are running behind the scenes but none cause the problem. Unless by coincidence two or more together cause it, in which case it will be nearly impossible to track them down.

I've also disconnected other hardware thats running at the same time and uninstalled some programmes that may use the modem, in case they conflict. I've disabled anti-virus software and firewalls but still the problem persists.

Does anybody have any ideas what's causing it or how prevent it?

howard60 16:24 25 Aug 03

on some laptops the screen size can cause a conflict with modems. Try setting your screen size before connecting. If normally large 800 x 600 try going for the smaller 1200x ??, worth a try.

Diemmess 16:26 25 Aug 03

Congratulations on a clear description of your problem. ........ I have no idea of the cause, and hope like you that someone will spot the reason.

In the meantime, have you considered trying an external modem, or better still borrow one first!
I realise this is bottling out of the problem, but if it is giving the trouble you say, it has to be worth this side-step.

fudge 18:14 25 Aug 03

I'll try your suggestion Howard60 and let you know if it works. I didn't think of that possibility.

Diemmess, I'm not convinced that an external modem will be the answer because I've had the existing hardware checked and all is OK. As I mentioned, the modem card has already been replaced and I think the problem is software related. Nevertheless, thanks for the interest and in the end you may be right.

woodchip 18:21 25 Aug 03

Have you done a thorough check for conflicts in Device Manager, also try to get a new driver for you Display adapter

fudge 18:35 25 Aug 03

I have done check in Device Manager and there are no conflicts. I'll see if I can find a new display driver, thanks.

bfc_tangerine 18:45 25 Aug 03

We have had same problem with internal modem and ME but it was freezing on "dialing" not "verifying." We have now upgraded to broadband and have no problems with the Sagem external modem supplied by our ISP. Not a laptop tho!! We also formatted our hard drive before installing broadband and installed ME from there, previously we had installed ME over the top of 98se. Not sure which of these 2 solved the problem but one has! Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…