my medion PC MT 7 keeps restarting

SMohan17 14:04 29 Jan 11

I have windows vista home basic on my medion PC MT 7.
It keeps restarting after it reaches the windows loading screen
I have tried to boot the computer from the recovery CDs but to no avail
Even when I start the computer in safe mode, it keeps restarting.
What is wrong with my computer and what do i need to do to fix it?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:11 29 Jan 11

As long as its a software problem (sounds like it in your case) and not shutting down to overheating.

you need to do a start up repair

You need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

Windows Installation Disk
NOTE

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the set of recovery options

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

SMohan17 15:10 30 Jan 11

A Black screen appeared with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'
then I pressed Any key to start the booting process
After this a screen appeared with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'
After this the normal windows loading bar comes up then a blue screen appears with the following message under the section that says technical information:

STOP: 0x0000C1F5 ( 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000)

What should I do next? (btw thanks your answers is really detailed making it easier to follow)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 30 Jan 11
  SMohan17 21:22 30 Jan 11

I have tried those links but the problem has still not been resolved, sorry for any inconvenience caused

jakimo 01:46 31 Jan 11
  SMohan17 18:51 31 Jan 11

@jakimo, yes i have but even that didn't solve my problem.

woodchip 19:07 31 Jan 11

If it as a Front USB card reader etc Plate take the side of the PC then remove on the motherboard the USB plug that goes to the front USB then try it. I had no end of problems with mine until they replaced it under warranty

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:25 31 Jan 11

Take out drive, connect to another machine , either in a external caddy or direct as second drive(slave if pata)

run chkdsk on the drive first

then delete the $TxfLog file

reconnect the drive to the original machine and do a startup repair
You need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

NOTE

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the set of recovery options

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

SMohan17 16:23 01 Feb 11

I followed the instructions below:

2/ Start the PC

but after step 6, the normal windows loading bar appeared and then my computer restarted

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:32 01 Feb 11

Did you do the first part of my thread BEFORE using the Vista DVD?

"Take out drive, connect to another machine , either in a external caddy or direct as second drive(slave if pata)

run chkdsk on the drive first

then delete the $TxfLog file"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017