My mate needs help

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 03:39 02 Jan 04

Hi, my mate decided to take the plunge and upgrade to xp home he installed it ok on drive c:
but he brought another hdd and windows wouldnt show it im my computer it did in device manager
so he said he put xp cd in to try to format it and it ended up loading xp on the other drive so in a panic he reset pc and took disc out now when he boots he has too chose from 2 OS both xp 1 loads 1 doesnt i been and looked at it and my knowledge of xp isnt that good but i did find a file in system properties,advanced,startup and recovery bit and click edit the start up options
there is a text file it shows with dual boot and loads of stuff but i darent do anythin too it cos i might make things worse but i think this file needs altering so it only has 1 boot drive
but i dont know what to alter it too,i havent got a copy of what it says off hand but i may be able to get 1,anyone have a clue what this file should say for single boot ?

Regards.

lpl56407 05:19 02 Jan 04

Punctuation often helps the reader!

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 05:28 02 Jan 04

And ?

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 05:33 02 Jan 04

Some people write well but allow themselves to be disabled by a fear of punctuation and grammar. They know how to prewrite, organize, and revise, but proofreading for punctuation and grammar causes them difficulties.Bit like me i dont need to be great at spelling or puctuation to get the message across.

Regards.

Djohn 07:47 02 Jan 04

ÑÌÇKÑÂMË, Don't worry about the punctuation, I could read it fine.

Try booting into the first drive with XP fully loaded on it. Right click on your "My Computer" Icon, left click on "Manage" and the from the new window that opens left click on "Disk management.

You will see both hard drives in there. Right click on the second hard drive, [The one you want to remove XP from] and choose format from there. Let the format wizard format the drive for you and give it a drive letter.

I think this will be OK as it is the normal way of formating a second drive from XP. Choose extended drive from the options. This will give you a second drive that is clean and ready to use. j.

cream. 08:20 02 Jan 04

I can read and understand your post perfectly and I'm an idiot. So whats the prob with the punctuation. lol

Djohn is spot on. This is the way to setup a new slave hard drive in x\p. This will format the drive and make it usable in x\p.

What you will have to do next is to edit the boot.ini file to get rid of "C" having 2 installations on it. I don't mean 2 copies of x\p, "C" will have 2 copies in the duel boot system. While the rest of the installation goes to the slave. Now that is confusing. lol

Have a look here to see if this will edit the boot.ini
click here

cream. 08:27 02 Jan 04

Under the article,

Sample Boot.ini File
This is a sample of a default Boot.ini file from a Windows XP Professional computer.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

This is a sample of the above Boot.ini file after adding another partition running Windows 2000 Professional.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

You can clearly see where the second installation is stored, partition(2). This should be simmilar to your mates machine, but of course partition (2) will show Windows X\P home. If you read the edit section this will tell you how to get rid of the line.

Good luck.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 16:10 02 Jan 04

Thx guys will have a look and get back to you with any problems,i did manage to format the second drive from xp now all i need do is get rid of the dual boot option at start up.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…