My laptop keeps dropping its network connection.

wee willy wonker 08:56 19 Nov 03

At work I am on a network and each day when I get in I plug my laptop in for the day. For some time now, whenever I use the network for any reason, my laptop drops its connection without warning. I do get a warning after this has happened and I simply click the icom on the taskbar and re-establish the link to the server. However, this is becoming more frequent and getting a bit annoying; also, when it has synchronised it closes down the folder I was looking at and I have to start again. Our technician and I are a bit stumped. Our server runs Windows 2000 and my laptop runs Windows XP. Any ideas?

recap 09:28 19 Nov 03

Can you give the exact error message that you get, this may help to track the problem down.

Firstly though, check for viruses then, check all TCP/IP settings and the DNS settings, make sure the Domain/Workgroup name is correct. I suspect that it could be the DNS.

wee willy wonker 10:50 20 Nov 03

Thanks for your reply. Anit irus is up to date and shows no viruses. TC/IP settings are ok. The pop up from the bottom right Taskbar says
'Offfline files - working offline. You are no longer connected to Server.... You can continue working normaly. Click this icon to view status.'
Once the icon is clicked the 'Offline file Status' window appears and I then select OK to synchronise. Does this help?

wee willy wonker 10:50 20 Nov 03

Thanks for your reply. Anit irus is up to date and shows no viruses. TC/IP settings are ok. The pop up from the bottom right Taskbar says
'Offfline files - working offline. You are no longer <nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="click here=" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,2);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(2);">connected</a></nobr> to Server.... You can continue working normaly. Click this icon to view status.'
Once the icon is clicked the 'Offline file Status' window appears and I then select OK to synchronise. Does this help?

Kitz E Kat 13:08 20 Nov 03

How are you connecting? A Pc card? i wonder if it is hardware related, delicate things are them pc cards and the Dongle's are easy to break, could be a faulty connection in the dongle/card, and a slight movement could break the connection..

Could you swap it out for aonther one and see if that sorts it.....

Good luck...

wee willy wonker 15:22 21 Nov 03

I assume that there is a network card in my Acer laptop. All I do is plug my network lead in and I am on the Network. It seems to occer most often when I go on the Network to copy files across or do to search of the Network for something. It does not seen to effect my access to the Internet.
This never used to happen, I therefore think it must be a fault - either software or hardware - that has happened. But what?

recap 19:33 22 Nov 03

This is a wild thought but, do you connect your laptop to the network via the same network socket in your office?

If this is the case try this: Swap over the cable in the switch panel to a spare.

The only reason I say this is because something very similar was happening to a machine at work and that was the only way I found of sorting it. I'm not syaing this will work but there's no harm in trying.

If that doesn't work then I would look at the permissions for the laptop across the network. This may take some searching, I would first start in your account then work my way up the ladder so to speak.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…