My laptop isnt recognising my hard disk!!

Matty2003 23:32 24 Sep 03

Hi, I have a NEC 366MHz / 128mb / 6.4 Gb / Laptop computer, with Windows SE. A while ago the laptop had stopped detecting my hard disk... I have no idea why. Im not a technical type of person so i havent a clue y its doing this. The Laptop powers up fine and u can see the power light go on, but a blank screen. The only thing that happens is that instead of the hard drive indicator light coming on, the cd drive light comes on (even though the hard drive flashes for about a second)... ive tried seeking advice to rescue this laptop myself, and have been told that "it seems like its looking for something to boot from" what ever that means. So I gave up there! Any help you can give me would b much appreciated. Many thanks.

krypt1c 00:14 25 Sep 03

It could be that the ribbon from your HD to your motherboard has come loose. Try opening your laptop and check that the ribbon is seated. Just push it firmly at both ends.

Matty2003 00:47 25 Sep 03

Thanx il giv that a try

JIM 00:57 25 Sep 03

May well be as krypt1c has said but what happens when you put the win/os cd in the cd drive?

May be a silly question,but you know what they say.

Matty2003 09:40 25 Sep 03

When i put that in the screen still stays blank

plankton 13:38 25 Sep 03

Are you using it on mains, or battery?

krypt1c 18:08 25 Sep 03

If checking the ribbon doesn't make any difference have you tried booting up using a startup floppy, then seeing if you can see the c drive

Matty2003 21:19 25 Sep 03

Im using the laptop on mains altho it does the same thing when i use the battery

Matty2003 21:20 25 Sep 03

How do i get hold of a startup floppy? Sorry if its a stupid question.

Rtus 21:29 25 Sep 03

Try one more thing first before doing anything more.. Find the memory cover unscrew and look carefully at the sodimms fitted make a note of where (which slot its in ) Ground yourself and remove & replace memory sim. try that to see if you get to boot up ..

Rtus 21:31 25 Sep 03

Do ensure you remove power first though...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…