Is my Laptop dead?

Jemaris 16:36 17 Mar 14
Answered

My Laptop running Windows 7 has been failing to boot. It's a Compaq Presario CQ60.

I've run the diagnostic at bootup to check the Hard drive & it fails.

I'm trying to get to a command prmpt from the windows disc, but every time I try to boot there's no option to boot from cd. On the startup it says to press F9 to change the boot order but it ignores me pressing this & just gos to the black & white screen to either launch Startup repair (which does nothing) or to start windows normally which gets as far as the Windows logo then it reboots. Any ideas how I can get it to run from the cd?

imendpc 17:25 17 Mar 14
Answer

You need to go into BIOS to change the boot order from harddisk as no. 1 to CD as no 1. When you power on PC look quickly for any instruction on which key to press to go into BIOS setup. It is unusually F1, F2, ESC, DEL or F10. If you have never changed BIOS before then you may need to surf around to get some education. If your diagnostics says disk failure, I would not boot it any more, especially if the disk had been well used and do a repair on it. The repair disk activity will stress and strain an already old failed disk, the end result could be terminal. Without thinking much, you need to remove the disk and put it into caddy and try to retrieve important data from it and look at the SMART disk data to see what may be wrong..... The main thing is that you need to stop too many disk I/O activities. If the disk still works, concentrate to get the most important data out first.

Jemaris 18:08 17 Mar 14

Thanks. New drive is on the way - there's no data on it I need to recover, so can do a fresh install when new drive arrives. As an aside - it also randomly switches off after it's been on a while. I'm guessing due to temperature? It does seem to be rather hot when it's been on only 10/15 mins.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:29 17 Mar 14

The fan and heatsink probably need cleaning, plenty of Youtube videos showing how to do it

bumpkin 19:49 17 Mar 14

Fruit Bat, as simple as that? I wont waste my money on a can of air in future:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…