My laptop can't pick up any wireless networks.

katiekins 11:36 28 Jan 08

I have had my laptop for a while and often used it at work and my parents to pick up their wireless connection. For some reason now it can't pick up these networks... all i get is no networks found when i know there is one (at least)there i can pick up.

I have checked it is enabled and had a look to see if i had changed a setting by accident but it all looks ok....

...any ideas anyone?

Thank you.

brundle 11:51 28 Jan 08

Make & model? Tried the usual Fn + keyboard shortcut to switch on/off wireless?

katiekins 12:02 28 Jan 08

Lenovo c100

I just tried the keyboard shortcut... nothing happens.

brundle 12:07 28 Jan 08

Is the Wireless service running? click here

That link shows how to find it, but is for disabling the service - make sure it is Started and set to Automatic instead.

If you're not using the built in Wireless management check your 3rd party wireless manager is enabled.

I am assuming XP, the service is called WLAN Autoconfig in Vista.

katiekins 12:19 28 Jan 08

Yeah it is built in wireless.

I have now checked the services and it is started and set to automatic.

brundle 12:22 28 Jan 08

Does the wireless indicator on the front flash at all? Look in Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager for red or yellow warnings next to any hardware

katiekins 12:29 28 Jan 08

There is a cross next to two of the network adapters .... the 1394 net adapter and the realtek one, think it just means it is disabled.

brundle 12:29 28 Jan 08

Wireless switch ?
click here

katiekins 12:32 28 Jan 08

There appears to be one on the side (with the wireless symbol on) but it appears to control the bluetooth!!!

Forgot to say, No the wireless indicator doesn't flash at all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:35 28 Jan 08

There is a cross next to two of the network adapters .... the 1394 net adapter and the realtek one, think it just means it is disabled.

Right click and enable

katiekins 12:36 28 Jan 08

^^ do i need them enabled them... i am not even sure what they are for.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…