Is a my LAN connection safer than Wireless?

AllZwell 01:25 20 Dec 06

Hello,

I have just connected my main PC to the LAN port of my router that I use/d for My Wireless enabled Laptop. I got connected straight away. However, I was wondering if there is still some detection from wireless networks? - I was wondering how safe my connection is. My LAN cable is in the PC, and to my Router, My laptop is now disconnected (turned off) is my web browsing viewable for others in my area? - As I do online banking etc.

I could plug my other BB modem in the USB instead of the LAN

Sorry for the newbie question.

TIA

fitshase 09:34 20 Dec 06

If you are connected only by the cable then see if you can switch off the wireless bit of your router. That way no-one can evesdrop.

Alternatively, if you still use your laptop wirelessly, make sure that encryption is set on your router. This will prevent all but the determined person accessing your network.

Finally, for maximum security, see if you can add MAC address access control on your router. This will only let those wireless computers to access it if their MAC address (network adaptor hardware code) matches your list.

dms05 12:06 20 Dec 06

If the antenna on your WiFi router is detachable then removing that will reduce your routers WiFi range to almost zero.

AllZwell 15:26 20 Dec 06

Thanks. The router is a belkin with just one antenna - not sure if it pulls off though!. I've got my laptop protected by WPA2 etc, and passwords, will this "follow through" to the LAN connection? ,

Also if I turn my laptop off while I do online banking - won't this effectavly mean no wireless connection? since all that will be connected will be my pc desktop via a LAN cable. Both use windows XP. Like I said, all i have to do is plug the other usb modem in to revert to normal non lan connection.

Thanks.

fitshase 18:00 20 Dec 06

There is no encryption on the wired LAN as you are not transmitting the data over the air where it can be intercepted.

If you are doing the online banking on your desktop computer then it doesn't matter if your laptop is on as it is not the laptop which is accessing the online banking.

You seem to have the bases covered with security. You have WPA2 and passwords so your data is as secure as you can make it. Don't worry about the rest.

AllZwell 19:00 20 Dec 06

cheers fishase:)

Merry Cristmas!

And who'd want to rip you off this time of year anyway:)????

- yea I know:(

AW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…