My IEEE 1394 Host Controller has a yellow

Valvegrid 20:24 24 May 04

exclamation mark against it in device manager. I have downloaded the driver for it, which Windows (98SE) has installed, but when I check Device Status this is what it says:

This device is disabled because the BIOS for this device did not give it an IRQ (Interrupt Request). (Code 29)

You must enable the device in the BIOS. See your hardware documentation for details, or contact your computer manufacturer to get an updated BIOS.

I have checked the BIOS, and there is nothing in it to enable the IEEE Host Controller. Also in device manager I've looked to see I can allocate it an IRQ, but I can't 'cos the box won't let me.

The computer is a HP Pavilion 7925, the mobo is an Asus A7V-ML and the BIOS is Pheonix Technologies 3.09.

Just a thought, I'm wondering if this device is really supported in Windows 98SE, because it had Windows XP on it by the previous owner.

Apart from this, the computer is running wonderfully well, so, if all else fails I'll not worry about it.

Many thanks.

christmascracker 21:24 24 May 04

bump

stalion 21:40 24 May 04

have a look click here

Valvegrid 21:47 24 May 04

But it's not a card, it's on the mobo.

stalion 21:51 24 May 04

just posted that for you to show that you it is supportd in 98se sorry I can not help further sure someone will have more ideas shortly Regards

Valvegrid 21:55 24 May 04

Oh right, point taken, thanks.

Valvegrid 22:00 24 May 04

Just a thought, what IRQ does firewire use, if someone could check theirs and tell me please, I suspect the IRQ it wants is being used by something else.

stalion 22:06 24 May 04

I am running xp and ieee 1394 is on IRQ 18 Regards

Valvegrid 22:18 24 May 04

That does explains it. The maximum IRQ in Win 98SE is 15, that's what I said earlier about XP being installed, with the extra IRQ's it would probably work fine. Thanks for looking and your help, I'll tick resolved.

Good night

Paul.

Zion_Lion 22:40 24 May 04

I'm sure Fresh Diagnose click here allows you to check and change IRQ's.
Regards ZL

Valvegrid 22:53 24 May 04

Thanks ZL, I think I'll leave alone, if I want firewire I'll buy a separate card.

Trouble is with this machine, it's geared towards XP so have had a nightmare time trying to find drivers for it. Managed to get the onboard sound working but not the onboard graphics which needs XP, so the graphics are on a AGP card now. This was the last remaining application that is not working, so I won't lose sleep over it, because I'll probably never use it. I was just curious if I could get it working.

Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…