Is my HDD on the way out??????

the old man 13:55 20 May 06

Have 2 HDD's in system, 20gb one which is about 5 years old and an 80gb one which is just over 2 years old. Over the last 24 hours the system sounds as if the HDD is running in an oil drum. It sounds this way when I access anything.
Could the older HDD be on its way out.

wobblymike 14:00 20 May 06

It sounds a distinct possibility may I suggest you back up everything you want to keep from that drive while you still can

ed-0 14:00 20 May 06

possibly;-(

I would back up as soon as I could.

have you got S.M.A.R.T. enabled in the bios? This could tell you if they are problems with any of the hard drives.

have you tried the error checking tools in windows. Might be worth doing.

If the prognosis is not good, let me know. I think I have a 30Gb 8Mb cache segate tucked away in a box somewhere. lol

the old man 14:18 20 May 06

just tried to backup all users data to 80gb hdd and got the following message because backup was aborted.

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "HDD doesn't sound good 20th may 2006.bkf created 20/05/2006 at 14:15"

Error returned while creating the volume shadow copy:Catastrophic failure

Aborting Backup.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

ed-0 14:33 20 May 06

I think I would be tempted NOT to use that hard drive untill you have it installed as a slave in another machine.

Then I would try and transfer as much as I could before it gives up the ghost.

I hope some other member may have some better ideas.

the old man 14:39 20 May 06

Thought you may say that. It is the one which has OS on. Think I will take it down to local shop and see if they will fit another HDD and transfer all over for me.

the old man 15:05 20 May 06

Shop closed till monday. tried to copy to cd but documents and settings folder is 4.5gb. have copied and pasted documents and settings folder onto 2nd HDD. Will this be enough.

Cybermaxx 15:11 20 May 06

the old man. Have a look at my topic, "
First time hard drive upgrade. Questions." that might be useful to you. Buying a retail HDD, I mean....

Muzzz 15:20 20 May 06

Hey old man, you could probably pick up an and new 80gb HDD stick the OS on it and copy across the old data yourself by replacing the "dodgy drive" with the 20 gb one. A new drive would only be about 40 pounds.

Complicated way would be, get a mate to bring his computer over, buy a cross over cable (its just like a network cable)and basically plug the cable into your pc and your mates pc, set it up so it allows your mates pc access to yours and just copy all your data to your mates machine. Stick in your new hard drive once you get it and just do the same thing again to get your data back. Just makes sure your mates PC has got enough space to accommodate your data

Muzzz 15:22 20 May 06

oops in the first instance i meant take out the 20gb drive and put in the "dodgy drive" obviously with your new one in place and the old one as the slave and then copy your data

ed-0 15:54 20 May 06

having transfer the folder over means you haven't lost every thing. Though this will not transfer the operating system. Have you an operating system disk?

it would be better to clone that hard drive to a new one. as Cybermaxx has mentioned click here If the 20 gig drive is just strong enough it could clone everything to the newer drive. Operating system, settings, programmes, everything.

It would mean, substituting your 80Gig drive for a different one. To set the jumpers and hopefully run the programme. You could then take out the 20 gig, set the new one to master. Connect the old 80gig and boot to windows as if nothing had happened.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…