My HD is now 'E' it use to be 'D'

Zebrapec 14:04 16 May 05

Hi, I know this is no big deal, but i kind of got use to my first HD being 'C' my second HD 'D' and my CD/dvd being 'E' Now my Second HD is 'E'. Is there an easy way to designate the letters back around again to what they were? Please/
Win Xp system.

BurrWalnut 14:07 16 May 05

Right-click My Computer, Manage, Disk Managemet. Right click the drive(s) to be re-lettered.

Zebrapec 14:23 16 May 05

Thanks

Zebrapec 17:12 17 May 05

Sorry about this BurrWalnut, but it will not let me change my 'E' drive to 'D', it will only let me change to a letter after E, that is FGHIJ etc.It also says that some programs might not work after changing the letter. anyone know what this is about? please

Graham ® 17:19 17 May 05

You will have to make the D drive something else temporarily, to make the letter available. Don't worry about 'some programs may not work' for now.

sinbad1 17:28 17 May 05

in disc management find out what D is assigned to
if its a cdrom or dvdrom then change to other suitable letter then D will become available for your second drive
click here;EN-US;q307844

sinbad1 17:31 17 May 05

click here;EN-US;q307844

sorry that link was no good

Compuguy 17:48 17 May 05

If you have the original CD and can boot from it then you can reset your drive numbers. It is a simple task BUT it means re-formatting your HD and re-installing everything, unless you have backed up to an external HD. Insert CD: shut down and re-start. Message: Press any key to boot from CD - do this ONLY first time this message appears. Follow on-screen prompts and delete all drive sections. Follow on-screen prompts to the end and your drive letters will be re-set after re-start.

Graham ® 17:59 17 May 05

click here

Hover over 'click here' to see the magic formula, then save for future use.

Zebrapec 18:21 17 May 05

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…