Is my hard drive on it's way out?

Anything I do now seems to take an age - I have tried to run Diskeeper Lite twice,it gets to 12% then stops,on the first attempt the pc froze and when it started up again it ran a CHKDSK which showed ok - if it is the hard drive going can I transfer everything on it to a portable hard drive?

ICF 09:52 12 May 07

What make of drive is it?
Every manufacture has a utility to check their drives

chub_tor 09:59 12 May 07

It's unlikely to be the hard drive going,although it is a possibility. Can you roll back to a System Restore point before the slowdown ocurred? If not you should try first to give you system a good spring clean with CCleaner click here AdAware click here and RegScrub click here and a virus checker click here Later there may be a few other utilities to try. But run through these first and you should get more reliable operation.

You can always back up your data to a portable drive - in fact you should be backing it up regularly. To transfer everything to a portable drive you will need a utility such as Norton Ghost.

It's a Maxtor drive,tried to run Belarc Advisor but it only got as far as 96% then stopped..I have used CCleaner just last week,have AVG and Spybot installed..

Fingees 10:18 12 May 07

Have you de fragged your drive?

Just a thought.

It stops at 12%.

ICF 10:39 12 May 07

Download Sea Tools for windows and check your drive click here

wee eddie 12:29 12 May 07

How full is the HDD.

you need about 20% free space to successfully run a Defrag.

Have tried nearly everything without any change,I have also been looking at another thread "Everything has slowed down" tried a few things on there also,still no joy...Anyone any ideas on why Diskeeper Lite stops at 12% (22%free space) and CPU running at 100%?

woodchip 23:03 12 May 07

Does the computer still work when it stops? or does it freeze

The computer still works ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…