Is my hard drive iffy ???

LuvleyJubbly 17:26 21 Apr 03

Hiya !

Bought a new 60Gb Maxtor hard drive about 6 months ago and installed Windows XP on to it with no bother. Since then, I've had to reformat it about once a week, cos it throws a wobbly and wont boot up Windows. Recently, I tried to reinstall XP onto it again and this time during the Setup, it gets to 19% of file copying and says it cannot copy the file across, thus making the install useless ! I've tried to see whether it was the XP install cd or not by installing XP onto another hard disk and this worked fine. I have checked the 60Gb disk for errors using O&O Defrag Pro software and says everything is ok !
Is there anything I can use to test my hard disk for errors (chkdsk doesnt seem to help !)

powerless 17:31 21 Apr 03

click here have not used it but its from the people who make the drive so it should be able to tell you if there are any problems.

Seems like there are.

akzah 17:32 21 Apr 03

click here

Programme to test your Hard Drive, its very good and should idetinfy when your HD will totally fail.

I had a similar problem as your regarding windows not installing and I found it was faulty memory rather than the hard drive. I would check your memory as well.

A good programme for memory checking is at click here

Akbar

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…