Is my hard drive happy? State of my hard drive

wildhouse 19:06 13 May 09

I would appreciate any advice on a good program/way to check out the health of my hard drive. I was advised to try Astra 32 which does give me a good idea of what is in/on my computer, but it tells me that my HDD is at serious risk of failure. Consequently I have been worried that my hard drive may fail and trying to decide if a new hard drive would be OK or do I need a new computer (it is a 6 year old Dell). However, I have downloaded a couple of other HDD software (HDD Health and Hard Drive Inspector) from the Cnet website, both of which say my hard drive is in good health with a temp of 39 being reported (and saying this is OK).
HDD Health says my hard drive is normal, 55% and Hard Drive Inspector reports good health. Who should I believe, or is there another way or reliable download that can give me the truest picture?

nufc2009 19:39 13 May 09

try this:

go to Start > run and type "cmd" without the qoutes

type CHKDSK/R in the console and schedule a scan for next restart, if you have other partitions say a D: drive for example (not devices such as CD/DVD) type the partition letter in the console, and type CHKDSK/R again.

Windows will scan for bad sectors and try and remove them (it marks the blocks as bad and prevents using them), it will report at the end how many kb of bad sectors you have (hopefully none)

if you miss the end report, you can use windows event viewer to look at it.

be warned, if you have a large hard disk, this may take anything between half an hour, upto a hour and half!

CurlyWhirly 20:01 14 May 09

Also a SMART monitoring tool - click here

bluto1 21:51 14 May 09

Try Belarc Advisor.

bluto1 21:54 14 May 09

Sorry click here advisor.com/down-load

Strawballs 22:26 14 May 09

There should be a space between the K and /
CHKDSK /R

DieSse 01:10 15 May 09

If a program tells you your drive is at serious risk of failure (and assuming it's correct and also not a scam) - then it can only be because it detects a SMART parameter is out of tolerance or it's run a very comprehensive set of tests. Simple tested cannot give you such a prediction.

click here Acive Smart is a well regarded SMART monitor.

The drive manufacturers site will have a good terst suite - eg for Seagate drives - Seatools click here Make sure you only run NON-destructive tests, otherwise you will lose data.

Graphicool1 08:28 15 May 09

whatever you decide to do regarding monitoring your HDD or running disk checks, if you are at all worried or just for peace of mind get yourself another HDD. Remember, no HDD is safe. The more places you store your important data the safer it will be. I'm speaking from personal experience and loss. Now I take no chances. You can either learn from your own catastrophies or take advice from someone else who has learned from theirs.
I lost 3 HDD's in 3 years, without warning. I was a slow learner. Now I have two inner HDD's and 1 external and a plethera of memory stick. I've been sorry now I want to be safe. :¬]

wildhouse 20:31 16 May 09

Hi
I have run CHKDSK /R and nothing seems to have come up. I have looked at the Event viewer but am not really sure which bit of it refers to the checking. The only errors that seem to appear are when I am shutting down and loose patience with a program which is taking an age to close!

Have run the HDDLife Pro and like the others, it says my hard drive is OK. That means 3 out of the 4 hard drive checkers say my hard drive is OK, with only Astra 32 disagreeing. I shall probably get a new 160GB hard drive (mine is only 80GB) but at least it seems a hard drive crash is not imminent and I should be able to transfer everything OK.

Thanks to all for help.

iscanut 20:53 16 May 09

Make sure you have a backup of all your important data !!!! Do you have an external hard drive for this or can you use a dvd(s) ?

wildhouse 11:51 17 May 09

I have an external drive which I have copied most things to. Unfortunately it won't let me do a proper back-up so that I can just re-instate everything - says I need to create a partition, but I only found this out after I had already put quite a lot on the drive! It worked OK for backing up my daughter's laptop but sadly not my desktop. Thankfully, although it will be a phaff, I have all my original disks (the only proplem might be Office Professional, which couldn't be re-installed on my daughter's laptop when her hard drive went. Microsoft want the number on the box which we didn't keep, only the original disk. I have been able to do a back-upusing Acronis, but I only have 6 days left of the 14 day trial so I will have to get a hard drive PDQ if I am to use that. Will search for another freebie back-up software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5