Is my hard disk dying?

six-h 21:55 26 Mar 08

2 Bad Blocks on the D(backup) sector of my Hard disk.
Is that terminal?
Is it responsible for the random freezing of my PC in IE7 ?
Or is there something else going on?

woodchip 22:15 26 Mar 08

No not necessarily, Run Disc Checker on the Drive Partitions do a thorough scan. It mark’s out bad blocks

six-h 22:36 26 Mar 08

I'm lost here!
A recent Deckard's scannner report advised that I had 2 Bad blocks on D(Backup) sector.
I was advised to "run" CHKDSK /R, then again, entering D: "enter", and CHKDSK /R.

I couldn't save or otherwise copy the content of the resultant report, but it didn't seem to have found any bad sectors.

Is the above what you're asking me to do also?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:43 26 Mar 08

2 Bad Blocks on the D(backup)

would have no effect when running windows only when trying to restore your Medion.

Having restored from D you my have some missing or corrupt windows files so do a windows repair.
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

D back up probably contains just the drivers and the "Tools" which is the install files for software that came preinstalled.

six-h 22:48 26 Mar 08

Googled it, and now doing a scan for and recover.
waiting to see what it finds.

The tech guy that was helping me almost had me ready to cut my throat!!
said the disk was dying, It's barely got anything on it, so I would have thought that it could cope with a couple of bad buckets!

six-h 23:12 26 Mar 08

Exactly my problem!
Ihad a trojan back in early Feb, and thought I'd deleted it, I posted an HJT log on the Malware removal Forum.
much poking and prodding later, they passed me over to the a-Squared forum even though they thought i was clean, much much more scanning deleting prodding and probing later, I was told by A2 that though clean, there was probably some hardware failing, or I had a software conflict.
At this point, I was encouraged to do a factory re-set, back to date of purchase...Nov2003!
It was a hard and rocky road back to the present, with 98 updates that obstinately refused to install, (Took me 20 hrs at one go to get them all in!) and here I am with the same problem.Further checks with Memtest 86 found no RAM problems, but Deckards then found two buckets in D: sector that were bad.
How can I get my system working properly again?

six-h 23:27 26 Mar 08

Disk checker just finished checking D:,
I just got a window saying "Disk checker has finished" and an "OK" button.
No explanation of what it found, or if it was able to repair it!

six-h 23:33 26 Mar 08

Read your link re: - sfc /scannow.

All that reg editing looks scary!

six-h 00:06 27 Mar 08

from "My Computer".
Any ideas on how I can get them back??

Dipso 06:43 27 Mar 08

Hi, this is quite common with Medions with inbuilt card readers. Try discharging the static. Power the PC down, switch the black switch at the rear to the "Off" position, then hold the silver Medion power on button in for at least 30 seconds. Reboot and they should reappear.

Sorry I haven't been in contact. Been having some problems with our 8080 too!

woodchip 09:51 27 Mar 08

Sounds like your Disc Is now OK. Bad Blocks and Bad files are not the same thing. If these bad blocks are not marked out by the Disc Checker then when you load Windows or any program that writes to these bad blocks will throw up problems. That's why I said run Disc Check. So you should be OK now. But keep an eye on the drive by running the above now and again. You also did the right thing in running Memtest as any faulty memory will keep corrupting files, and give you problems, but you have to recognise that Memtest is only a bit of software that is checking best way it can the Memory, it does have limitations so this could still be a problem. If you have more than one stick of memory try it for some time with just one stick., then test the other the same way

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5