is my graphic card compatible with my pc/motherboard?

numkelfutumch 12:00 01 Jan 15

I have a PC with a gigabyte F2A78M-D3H motherboard and just got my hands on an msi radeon r9 290 graphics card.

I put the card in and turned the PC on but there is no signal to my monitor. The two fans on the graphic card are spinning which suggests to me that it is working (it is brand new) but nothing to the monitor.

Could it be that my card is not compatible with my motherboard?

I will add that i did not install the card drivers from the disc that came with the card as the instructions said to fit the card then install the disc, could this be the problem?

Any help here would be much appreciated, thanks.

Ian in Northampton 12:36 01 Jan 15

Yes, it could. No way will your graphics card output a signal without having its drivers installed first.

Have you also checked that your power supply is man enough for the job?

numkelfutumch 10:34 02 Jan 15

Thanks for the reply, in the past i have always fitted graphics cards to my PC's and they have worked straight away without drivers being installed until afterwards but i have never had as big and powerful card as this one before. As for the PSU you mention, the card manufacturer suggests a minimum of 750w psu. I see i have a 500w psu in my machine, i have 3 external HDD's plus 1 normal internal hdd and 1 internal SSD, this along with a quad core processor so i guess your suggestion of too small a psu could be the problem here.

Given that they recommend a minimum of 750w and the fact that my machine runs 5 hdd's in total is there a minimum size you would suggest that i go for?

Ian in Northampton 11:07 02 Jan 15

A minimum of 750W, I'd say. The external drives draw negligible current, so you're dealing with a fairly straightforward configuration from a power point of view. The bigger PSU you can afford, the better (but don't go for a non-name brand).

I can't believe, btw, that a graphics card would just work 'out of the box' with no drivers installed - but I guess it's possible (it just wouldn't work as it should).

northumbria61 11:21 02 Jan 15

I agree with Ian in Northampton on this one - I have always found that the graphics drivers need to installed first either from a supplied disc or a prior download from the manufactures website. Only then will you get a signal to your monitor.

numkelfutumch 14:44 02 Jan 15

Thanks again, just to clear up the graphics card working without drivers, in the past i have always put a card in and the monitor comes on but the graphics are low res, everything on screen is big. I have then installed drivers and this then gives me the resolution/graphics etc that it should be.

I am about to install the drivers from the supplied disc and am then going to fit the new corsair RM1000 psu i have just been out and bought ( overkill i know but better safe than sorry :) ). Hopefully this is going to sort me out. I'll let you know how i get on.

numkelfutumch 17:10 03 Jan 15

All up and running now. I am not sure if it was the little 500w psu that was the problem or not installing disc first but all is good now and with on board graphics plus new 290 card i now have nearly 8GB of graphics memory to play with.

Thanks for the replies and the help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac