My friend needs a lot of help!!!

Fateful Shadow 20:38 20 Sep 03

My friend has a Windows 98se computer, and she has just rang me up in panic because she can't access Windows.

The phone conversation was a bit garbled, but it went a little like,

"When I start my computer up, a selection menu comes up with Normal startup, Safe mode, etc. and no-matter which one I click on, the splash screen appears (longer than usual) and then a message in white on a black background says (Now I can't remember all the details, but I think I got most of this) 'While initiating device VX (sometimes VXD), and it says General protection fault."

If anyone can help I think my friend would be very grateful, and so would I because it would increase my knowledge a lot more!

Fateful Shadow 20:42 20 Sep 03

Sorry! I think that the VX and VKD are supposed to be VK and VKD.

Any help on either of the 2 would be helpful!

Joe McG 21:04 20 Sep 03

Fateful Shadow,

There are literally hundreds of different errors, which contain a fault with vxd.

You could try here. (after getting the exact error message)
click here

Hitch-Hiker 21:04 20 Sep 03

Try to ring your friend back and get some more details that you can remember. Then post them for more help.

Valvegrid 21:05 20 Sep 03

Can you ask the young lady if when she gets that first DOS menu to select Start at Command Prompt, this will look like C:
Put the Win 98 CDROM in and type ?:\Win98\Setup (? will be the letter of the CD drive) this will reinstall Windows for her.

Paul.

VoG II 21:16 20 Sep 03

VXD is a virtual device driver.

Has she aded or removed anything (hardware or software))?

Switcher 21:28 20 Sep 03

Select start at DOS PROMPT

Then Type Scanreg /restore

Then select a date on which there was a good start

Fateful Shadow 21:31 20 Sep 03

She just popped round and said that the error was VKD...Virtual Keyboard device driver.

Thats why she can't get anywhere when it says press any key to continue.

The odd thing is, everytime she starts her computer up, the selection screen for different modes of startup appear, but the keyboards works then!

Weird

Fateful Shadow 21:32 20 Sep 03

Oh yes....and earlier today the whole thing was fine. She hasn't downloaded anything, added anything, gone anywhere...

Fateful Shadow 21:55 20 Sep 03

Is it possible that I can run a form of scandisk from the DOS Command prompt? I had a thought about it and some rouge files might have a art of the problem. If I could fix those then maybe I could fix the problem?

Thanks again :)

woodwind 22:37 20 Sep 03

Scandisk can be run from a DOS prompt.

I've seen this problem several times before and it ususally means that the device driver has become corrupt. I have usually found that this has been caused by a damaged hard disk drive but not always.

If your friend has the Windows 98 OS disk may I suggest that Windows is reinstalled over itself. If the driver has become corrupt by means other than physical damage to the HDD it may cure the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5