©®@$? 00:26 28 Apr 04

what do you think?

it's also got a forum if you want to pop in and have a look

©®@$? 00:26 28 Apr 04

would help if i posted a link

click here

©®@$? 09:25 28 Apr 04

cheers for that

the top navigation bar, that has no text is just there for the look, as there are pictures and links in the centre of the screen which says forum etc, if you look next to the link it shows the symbol, for example the arrow which in turn indicates the icon with the arrow is for downloads, as for the forum being a question mark, my intention was for the ? to mean that you can ask questions beyond this button.Put it this way my partner doesn't use computers very often, and i told her to go on my site and see if she could work her way around it...i asked her to goto the forum ,she instantly clicked on the ?, i asked her why she clicked that and she said well a question mark means a question and you ask questions in the forum..so she can find her way around the site and she is computer illiterate

i'm not worried about the nav bar, as they can navigate the whole site via the links

but i do understand the importance of functionality to my visitors, but as this is my first side i can only imporve..

"Also there is no 'alt' text on the images. The image map menu needs 'alt' text to explain what the links are."

can you explain where you mean thanks..

©®@$? 09:40 28 Apr 04

what sort of DTD would i need to add

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"click here"

?

erkmatrix 10:43 28 Apr 04

I don't know much about how the access problems work in web sites or know anything much about technical design. But I do like the look of the site, its very nice on the eye, I've seen far worse and for your first effort you should pat yourself on the back. I'm currently working on my first website about my poetry and art. Using netobjects fusion 7.5 but finding it a little tempremental in places to get things to operate, still I'll battle on with it.

Good luck with your site.
Phil

©®@$? 11:07 28 Apr 04

thankyou for your kind words, i am like you still learning, and there is nothing else you can do other than battle with it...

its still undergoing changes but i'm quite pleased with it

cheers

site looks the best i've seen in a long time.

well done

Taran 14:12 28 Apr 04

You can't use an XHTML DTD of any sort (Strict, Frames or Transitional) unless you use XHTML to code your pages.

Yours are fairly typical of Namo Web Editor and are certainly not XHTML.

I'd suggest that you ignore site validation for the moment in favour of sorting out any other problems, then address validation as a separate issue.

When you do want to try site validation, I'd suggest that you try an HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD, but don't hold your breath.

Namo, like many other web editors, often outputs some less than optimal code. With this in mind, including a relevant DTD will do nothing at all in helping your pages to validate because Namo has buried a lot of junk in your pages.

A great many of the HTML code tags are unquoted and some of them are considered illegal, like table heights.

Example from your page:

body bgcolor=#FFFFFF leftmargin=0 topmargin=0 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0

All of those attributes should be quoted, like this:

body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0"

But then, just to throw another fly in the ointment, all of those examples apart from the body background colour tag (body bgcolor="#FFFFFF") are not supposed to be in the <body> tag to begin with. They are illegal HTML values but are fine when applied as CSS styles on your page, so quoting them will make no difference in having valid code on your pages.

Instead of all that junk in the <body> tag, you could put a CSS reference in the top of the document or as a separate externally linked file, then remove all of that junk from the <body> tag completely.

This is how it would work, using the following code after your closing </title> tag but before the opening <head> tag:

<style type="text/css">

<!--

body,td,th {

color: #FFFFFF;

}

body {

background-color: #FFFFFF;

margin-left: 20px;

margin-top: 20px;

margin-right: 20px;

margin-bottom: 20px;

}

-->

</style>

Note that CSS values don't need to be quoted while HTML values should be, to be on the safe side, and that margin values are OK in CSS styles but are illegal as HTML attributes.

This is a good example of one very important fact:

No matter how good a site looks (and yours is visually very slick looking) the WYSIWYG editors often completely mess up the unerlying code in their output. This is where you either have to learn the code to fix it or put up with things as they are and hope that nobody notices.

Since things are marching steadily towards site accessibility and cross browser compatability, WYSIWYG editors have their work cut out for them if they plan on keeping pace.

I'll follow this one and see where you go with it.

Good luck.

T

Taran 14:38 28 Apr 04

Just to clarify one point:

I wasn't directing the above comments purely at Namo Web Editor.

Although it is, in fact, a very good program, just like Dreamweaver, FrontPage, GoLive and others, it allows the user to do some spectacularly incorrect things with their sites and does nothing to stop you.

It's a Catch 22.

All web editors let you do more or less what you like, not necessarily what you should. It doesn't seem to have occurred to WYSIWYG program authors that perhaps they should build in some form of error correction that at least attempts to stop the user from designing pages and sites using illegal code.

WYSIWYG editors are meant to speed up your workflow. It's a common misconception that they get it right all the time.

Charence 11:16 21 May 04

I have not signed up yet and mainly the reason for this is because your website has not been able to pursuade me to do so.

You should have a welcome page which NON-members can view. In this you should include a brief explanation of your site content and try to pursuade a visitor to WANT to join your forum. Do not make it too long otherwise people won't read it.

Charence

©®@$? 11:23 21 May 04

when i posted my website on this forum, it was an actual website..i have scrapped that idea now and it is based on a forum

where are you looking?

there is Welcome guests section where they can read about what is inside

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…