My first site

alextjtaylor 10:10 31 May 04

Hi guys,

Could I have some (constructive) feedback on my site click here (change language to English on the right).
I've spend 3 weekends and a lot of coffee on it, but your help's appreciated.

Forum Editor 11:10 31 May 04

in my opinion,I like the site very much.

You have recognised one of the golden rules of web design - keep it simple. I like the sparing and tasteful use of colour, the well thought out navigation, and the clarity of the text content. My one small niggle is that on your privacy page you should confirm your compliance with the UK data protection legislation - you show a UK address as well as an Italian one.

Otherwise it certainly gets my seal of approval - well done.

Taran 12:39 31 May 04

I can't really offer much in the way of help since there's not a great deal I can spot that I'd change.

On the English page the 'Tell a friend' link opens up the visitors email client with the following as the email subject:

Ho trovato un'azienda di formazione d'inglese che potrebbe interessarti www . tjtaylor . net

and this in the To: line:

indirizzo e-mail

Since that link is on the English section I'd suggest translating it into English. If I saw an email with that lot in the subject line heading into my Inbox unasked for I'd delete it out of hand as possible spam or worse. Just a thought.

You might consider adding Alt tags to your images as well.

There are a couple of redundant HTML tags in your underlying code but I'm really picking away at it here and looking hard for faults and that's not really fair considering the end product.

I'd say you've done a superb job. It appeals to the eye, it delivers its content in an easy to cope with format and look very professional indeed.

Best of luck with the site and all that it represents. I'll be out of a job soon at this rate...

PurplePenny 13:46 31 May 04

... are a small but vociferous group .....

Your pages don't line up right in Opera 7.5 or Mozilla 1.5, all we see is a little bit of green and the top of someone's head down in the bottom right corner. We have to scroll down and right to see the page content.

Taran 19:34 31 May 04

I wonder if we dare start that argument again over whether this is the fault of the browser or the fault of the code in the web pages ?

alextjtaylor 19:46 31 May 04

Thanks for all the feedback.
Penny - how do I design for Mozilla? I'm using Dreamweaver and I previewed the site in IE.

Taran 20:03 31 May 04

The only way to be sure is to download and install alternative browsers to test your pages in.

You can add additional browsers to Dreamweaver using the Edit>>Preferences menu and most designers commonly use IE, NetScape and Opera to test their pages. It is worth adding Firefox to your list since it is gaining popularity at a ferocious rate and despite the fact that it is Mozila based it sometimes throws you a curved ball when checking your pages.

Get the browsers from computer magazine covermount CDs or:

Firefox click here

Mozilla click here

Opera click here

Netscape click here

Taran 20:10 31 May 04

Keep a handkerchief handy for the inevitable tears when you see how badly some of the alternative browsers mangle your pages.

Designing for cross-browser compatability is important but also incredibly irritating and frustrating. Few things are as annoying as coming up with a nices design, running out a site and then having it fall apart in another browser.

Dreamweaver, depending on your version, has some tools built in for checking against different browsers. Versions MX and 2004 MX have very good cross-browser tools built in where you code will be checked against a list of known problem tags and the issues will be highlighted for you.

Taran 20:14 31 May 04

Part of the problem is that some browsers render the code in a, shall we say, less than optimal way.

Some of them even add their own bespoke tags to your page code to help them render it and in doing so they can send elements of your site all over the place.

There have been famous cases where one browser totally ignored the formatting of the last row in a table on your web page. It automatically applied the same dimensions from the second last row to the last. Keeping in mind that a lot of people use a large main content table cell and a narrow footer cell, having the dimensions of one applied to the other can really cook the goose.

alextjtaylor 20:17 31 May 04

Looks like another weekend and a couple more jars of Nescafe. I'll try to fiddle around with the formatting and the feedback form, but I wouldn't give up my day job just yet Taran.
Thanks guys,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…