my first self build,all finished

dfghjkl 20:07 21 Nov 03

hello,i have just put my first self build together and i said i would let you know how it went,well here go,s.i placed my order last friday with eclipse,i chose 3-5 day free delivery,and it came on monday that is next working day so credit where it is due,it all arrived ok anda complete order,a msi kt4al motherboard,a 2500+ amd xp cpu and 256 of 333mhz ddr memory.i had already downloaded the manual from msi site,so i was well prepaired,i set to removing everything from my case,connecting the new mobo to the start button wires then building it up adding everything one bit at a time checking everything 2 or 3 times the only thing i had trouble with was fitting the heatsink assembly,i knew i had to be firm with it but how firm is ok?i must admit i used a screwdriver,not to put pressure onto the clip as in photo instructions but to guide it over the lugs,not for the very faint hearted but i am told that some are more difficult than others,once everything was connected that i needed to get it going i left the sides off and pressed the start button,it fired up first time,i knew from the manual that i only had to set the bios to default safe settings and set the fsb for my cpu (333mhz\166)i let it boot up but i got a black screen so in went the xp cd and a fresh format and install,everything went to plan and i have got a fast and stable modern pc for £150,with 5.1 sound, 6 usb 2.0 and loads of new things to play with from the software with the mobo,to summ it all up to anyone who is thinking of doing this is to prepare,i posted several threads bought a couple of mags and read manuals on line.all thi info is out there,just check everything is compatable,the memory,which is fastest for you?which is the fastest cpu you can afford?is it compatable with your memory and motherboard?does the motherboard do everything you want and more?i was lucky that everything went to plan,i would reccomend it to anyone,now what can i do next?a new graphics card maybe?thanks for all the help and support i would not have tried it without the knowledge and backup that i knew was here.

SANAP 20:11 21 Nov 03

u couldn't by any chance say what all the bits were in a nice tidy list, eg did u buy a monitor as well, and keyboard and mouse or was it just the cpu only?

For 150 u can't go wrong.

Djohn 20:12 21 Nov 03

Congratulations on your PC build, excellent news and I'm very pleased for you.

Best wishes j.

TommyRed 20:15 21 Nov 03

Well done, hopefully my next PC will be a self-build. TR

I bet you got the chill down your spine when you first turned it on!

I know i did when i put a new mobo into my PC on sunday...

A bit like a cold drink on a hot day, once you have tried a bit, you want more if that makes sense!

Quiller. 20:25 21 Nov 03

Well done. :)

©®@$? 20:28 21 Nov 03

theres nothing like your first successful build, still using mine today, and that has lasted me over 3 years, don't want to get rid

y_not 20:32 21 Nov 03

Its that feeling when it boots for the first time - savour it cause you'll never get it again.

There are so many nightmare stories about the problems people have had - its great to hear.

Thanks for sharing your success

PurplePenny 21:09 21 Nov 03

Congratulations. It's a great feeling isn't it? Be prepared to feel smug when people ask what kind it is and you reply that you built it yourself.

©®@$? - Me too, mine is over five years old and I won't get rid of it.

fred 21:18 21 Nov 03

Glad You did not experience the shudder down the spine when Nothing Happened. Congrats

billyliv 21:24 21 Nov 03

Congrats dfghjkl, Welcome to the B.I.Y. gang. I knocked one up recently for a Linux installation, all I need now is someone to put me right on Linux. Good luck with your future builds. (Because you wont want to stop now). cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…