My first Laptop!

Poshlad 16:40 15 Jan 11

Hi Everyone
I am considering buying a Laptop, “Dell latitude d610” (£89 is a good price for a laptop-Don’t you think?) I saw it in a second-hand shop (Cash C********s) I would like to upgrade the memory at a later time. I have looked on the Dell website, which says it can only expanded to 2 GB. I have seen in another second-hand shop (Bright H***e) an “Acer” laptop with a 4 GB Memory (I thought Acer were a Budget/entry level manufacturer) Is it worth paying the final amount, or should sign up with B-H and get the Acer.
Your advice Much needed

Ian in Northampton 18:15 15 Jan 11

I guess the question that immediately presents itself is: why do you believe you want/need to upgrade the memory later?

While Dell is probably considered a premier brand, don’t underestimate Acer. Good quality, and usually very good value for money. The D610 looks like a decent bit of kit, but only has a Pentium M processor. Realistically, I don’t think you’d ever want to upgrade it beyond 2GB – and remember that Windows XP (which is what I imagine the D610 runs) can’t make use of more than 3.5GB anyway. XP will typically run very well in 2GB or less (even with 512MB it would be fine). £89 seems a very good price for a machine of the D610’s spec. That said, it was launched 5 or so years ago. There’s a positive review here:

click here

It looks like it cost £1,000 at launch!

Hard to say whether it’s worth going for the Acer without knowing more about its spec. If it’s got 4GB of memory installed, I’d guess it would be a much more recent machine, probably with Vista or W7. I’d expect to pay much more for it.

In summary: if you just want a laptop for Internet, basic office functions etc., I’d have thought the D610 was a very good buy. I’d be interested to know what warranty you’d get from CC: I’d guess 3 months, which isn’t so bad.

woodchip 18:26 15 Jan 11

second hand, sold as Seen. Its after the day that problems start. do they have any kind of warranty. any discs with them?

PS I suggest, if you buy, use your Credit Card. This is a warranty to some extent when buying from dealers

robin_x 18:38 15 Jan 11

Just had a look at cashconverters.co.uk website (Computers section)

£89 seems too cheap. Does it work?

Other netbooks/laptops (£120- several hundred) do at least have a 'fit for purpose' list of conditions and a small description. eg 'no battery', some small scratches.

Good luck. If it works/fixable it's a bargain.

GaT7 19:52 15 Jan 11

How do the secondhand laptops at Bigpockets click here compare with the ones at CC? They usually come with a 3 month warranty as standard. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced