My Firewall is questioning: -

freaky 10:37 08 Apr 07

The Firewall is asking for permission to accept/deny access for the following program: -

Java(TM)2 Platform Standard Edition Binary.

This happens each day, and so far I have denied it access as I have not got a clue what it is!

Can someone please enlighten me ?

MAJ 10:46 08 Apr 07

It's Sun Java, it allows you to view java applets on the web. If not allowing it isn't affecting your surfing then don't allow it. You can always allow it again using your firewall settings if you decide you need it later.

anskyber 10:53 08 Apr 07

It's a recent update as MAJ has pointed out which I downloaded yesterday from click here

freaky 11:06 08 Apr 07

Hi both,

I have heard mention of Java on numerous occasions, but am completely ignorant about it.

Is it advantageous to have or not?

anskyber 11:10 08 Apr 07

Hi! Java is used to allow certain functions, usually involving a degree of animation to work, like this speed tester. click here

anskyber 11:13 08 Apr 07

PS I should have added read the toubleshooting bit from my link.

freaky 11:28 08 Apr 07

The speed test did not run so I need Java!

Just noticed in my lower right taskbar a quick start icon for Java(TM) 2 Platform...must have downloaded it at some time so will allow it access.

Thanks for the info, will leave this subject open for the time being.

birdface 12:12 08 Apr 07

If your Firewall keeps asking you to allow or deny programs and you are not sure what to do,You may want to try another one instead,I would Reccomend Kerio firewall,Its the easiest one to use,Just press simple version if you are thinking about downloading it, and it runs itself,No pop ups,It may not be as good as the one you are using,But so easy to use.

freaky 12:42 08 Apr 07

Hi Buteman.....I am already using Kerio on this PC!

On my other PC I have been evaluating Windows Live OneCare, I find the Firewall with that is less obtrusive and far more informative than Kerio. I downloaded LOC on 130 days free trial and will probably purchase and install it on the 3PC's we have here. Approx £30 for up to 3 PC's.

The LOC Firewall gives 2-way protection as opposed to 1-way as per the XP Firewall.

MAJ 12:57 08 Apr 07

Why not use ZoneAlarm Free??? click here

freaky 13:07 08 Apr 07

Can go on and on, especially regarding internet security.

I did not start this subject with that intention.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac