My External Hard Drive has overridden my CD drive

davemc143 16:30 10 Feb 09

I bought an external hard drive to back up all my music and photos. i connected it by USB and it automatically assumed the D: drive label. now i cant use my CD drive as thiswas previously assigned to that letter. i have followed the trouble shooting guides and have uninstalled and re-installed the Driver forit but it always comes up "there was a problem installing your hardware, it may not work properly" (code 39 message), i have also searched for updates etc but with no joy. is it worth doing a system restore to the pre-external harddrive days and seeing if the cd drive starts again. i am out of ideas now can anyone help. Thanks

rawprawn 17:29 10 Feb 09

Try changing the drive letter for your external drive. Control Panel> Admin Tools> Computer management> Disk Management> Right Click on your external Drive and select Change Drive Letter & Paths ( choose a letter such as Z along way from your D:)

davemc143 19:24 11 Feb 09

Hi, I have changed the External Drive to Z as suggested and then retried to install my cd driver, only to be greeted with the same response "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
I have an "NEC DVD+RW ND-3530A" Driver. The CD rom drive itself doesnt show up in My Computers anymore either.
Is it worth restoring to 2 weeks ago before we put the drive in, thanks for your help

MAJ 19:30 11 Feb 09
  Terry Brown 19:40 11 Feb 09

Try going into the BIOS and checking the settings for your drives. There is normally a 'F' button that will check all drives automaticly.
You may need to reset the order in which the machine accesses the drives.
Terry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…