My email receives but won't send

Publisher 19:01 24 Jan 05

I have four email addresses used for different peuposes. One is with my ISP (Force9.co.uk) and three with my website hosting company (oneandone.co.uk).

I have a desktop and a laptop. On the desktop they all work fine. On the laptop I can use the ISP email address, but not the three from oneandone.co.uk, which receives but will not send, it insists that there is something wrong with my email address details. I have both machines side by side, cross checking the data in dialogue boxes, and both are identical.

HELP!

Could it be a virus?

DRiM

Jeffers22 20:18 24 Jan 05

Can only suggest you delete the accounts from the laptop and set them up again, using the individual desktop accounts as your template. A very common error is to have smtp,onandone.co.uk instead or smtp.oneandone.co.uk.

Publisher 20:25 24 Jan 05

Thanks for that Jeffers, I have done that, and its just the same. In any case, its unlikely I would make a mistake with all three. If it was just 1 from 4 not working I would be looking at a syntax problem, but all three ...?

I have deleted them all and set it up from scratch, and still the same happens.

DRiM

megat193 20:26 24 Jan 05

Are you sure you have matched the settings exactly? The 1and1 smtp server will require the "outgoing server requires authentication" box ticked, and "use the same settings as my incoming mail server". Sometimes it is easy to miss the extra settings required for hosted email addresses.

2neat 20:30 24 Jan 05

why not install click here on your laptop. Ive been using well over a year now with no probs.

Publisher 20:38 24 Jan 05

megat193, yes, I have matched them exactly, and I have ticked the box as you suggest. So its not that either.

Thanks anyway.

DRiM

johnnyrocker 20:40 24 Jan 05

has one of the machines got norto? if so try unticking mail scanning.

johnny.

Publisher 20:41 24 Jan 05

2neat, thanks for the suggestion, but Outlook ought to work OK, there is no logical reason why it shouldn't. I appreciate the suggestion and will keep it in mind, but I would like Outlook to do the job if possible.

Its less complicated not to have too many programs unless its necessary.

DRiM

2neat 19:31 25 Jan 05

No problem. This program will work with outlook with one setting change. I only run it when I send e-mails. No spyware or any other nasty included with this software. I like the log file it generates & you can check if your mail was delivered ok. Give it a try sometime.... you can always remove if you dont like!
Hope you get you problem resolved.

puppy dog 19:42 25 Jan 05

I have recently purchased a 'Teach yourself C++' book and find it a lot more difficult to learn than Basic was when I taught myself about 15 years ago. Can anyone suggest an alternative to C++. Thanks

2neat 19:49 25 Jan 05

Why have you posted to this thread?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…