My DVD RW wont work!

ballykinash 23:07 16 May 06

Hi. Hope you can help. My DVD rewriter wont function, and I cant figure out the problem. I have the pc a few years and I think I can recall in the beginning a loud enough noise from either the cd rom drive or the dvd rw, I don’t know which one it was, and maybe its nothing to do with my current problem. I have used Help Topics, checked device manager and control panel etc and I’ll now give you a summary of what I got. First the system:

Dell Intel P4 2800, 512mb ram, windows xp, 80gig HD
Samaung Cd-Rom, and Teac DVD+ RW DV-W58E

OK. Firstly the hard disk is now called F, I think it used to be C…??
And the DVD RW comes up as removeable disk C.
When I put in a CD or DVD nothing happens. If I click on Removeable Disk it says “please insert a disk”.
If I right click and examine properties I get:

Used space=0 Free space =0
Manufacturer: (Standard CD-Rom drives)
This device is disabled (22) (When I try to enable it, it says that it cannot be enabled)

When I looked in Device manager the Teac DVD has a red “x” over it!
Finally I went to PCPitstop and ran a test on the system and came up with the following:

Teac DVD+RW code 22 (which just means it was disabled) I clicled on the link to Microsoft explanations, and on the “solution”; this was simply to enable it, but of course it cant be enabled!

Also I found (could be related….??):

Unknown Ethernet Controller code 28 (=drivers not installed)
Unknown Multimedia Audio Controller code 28 (=drivers not installed)

Sorry for all this jumble, but that’s as much as I can find out. Unfortunately I cant find the Blue Dell installation disks either! Im just guessing at either (a) drivers not installed or (b) faulty DVD RW drive or (c) loose connection….???

HELP!

Thanks

ms

Rtus 23:28 16 May 06

assuming you havent changed any hardware around (cables) > Check drive status in the bios youre Hard drive should log as C .then any aditional drives /cdr/dvd etc as D-E-F etc if its not registering like that close it down remove power .open case unplug then refit (straight away so as not to lose order they are fitted in )IDE cables to all drives fitted when finished add power & reboot .see if that clears it ? then post back if needed.

Rtus 23:29 16 May 06

You dont say which O/S but assume its Xp home ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…