My DVD-RW will not read some CDs or DVDs

arch2571 18:14 04 Apr 05

I have A Phillips PBDV16OP DVD-RW and when my son tries to play a game called evil genius which is a cd it says to put the disk in the drive it does the same on another game of his called Tribes 2 Vengence and handful of other application that to numerous to mention i would vey much appriciate any help in resolving this matter

arch2571 18:24 04 Apr 05

it actually say unable to othenticate original disc in time limit i also am running windows XP SP1 just so you know

Technotiger 18:28 04 Apr 05

Hi, it is completely normal for many games and some applications to need the cd in the drive when playing/using said items. It is not a fault.

Cheers.

Indigo 1 18:28 04 Apr 05

If it is an old drive then it is probably time to buy a new one, this is typical of a drive that is wearing out.

They are getting cheaper all the time click here

DieSse 18:36 04 Apr 05

A DVD-RW drive should not be wearing out yet - it can't be that old.

Perhaps some of the CDs are getting a bit dirty or scrached. You can wipe them clean , but wipe across the disc, not round and round - with a very soft tissue or cloth, and maybe some cleaning alcohol, or a tad of water. Don't rub them hard.

JonnyTub 19:11 04 Apr 05

Possibly dirty optics/specs of dust or alike. Use a cd cleaner (the ones with the little brush on that look like eyelashes) there only a couple of quid and if it doesn't work your not that much out of pocket.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac