my dvd player plays sound but no picture??

SANAP 12:36 12 Nov 04

I had to change my video card, an NVIDIA GEFORCE 256 as the fan packed in, I tried my dvd player before replacing card and it plays sound but no picture. I then put in new video card, GEFORCE2 MX 400, 64MB/64BIT, this fixed the problems with my display, all ok again, but still will not play DVD. I noticed when I took out old card it had a ribbon cable connected, I think it was to the sound card, but new card has no slot for ribbon cable!! Dont even know what this ribbon cable was for! It is a DELL PC 700 PENTIUM 11, WIN98SE, bought NOV 1999 and apart from the video card going it has been great. I dont play dvds that often but would like to have it working, just in case. The disc for DVD says HARDWARE CINEMASTER DELL HW DVD 3.00. I re-installed drivers etc but still no joy.

What am I doing wrong? And is there a simple fix?

sanap

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:27 12 Nov 04

DVD should have 3 cales pluged into back.

Power cable (yellow black black red)

Sound cable (thin) to sound socket on motherboard or sound card. (may not be reqired if using digital sound)

IDE ribbon cable that connects to the IDE socket on the motherboard. This cable may also connect to your hard drive.

SANAP 14:52 12 Nov 04

thanks for reply, i believe i got the answer, it is 5 years since i bought this thing so i am giving myself an excuse!! I got a dvd hardware accelerator card with the video card and this was joined with the ribbon cable!! Stupidly I thought replace the card with a geforce agp etc and it will be a match but after scouting around this morning boy was I wrong!!

This is what I should have ordered but it is on an Amercican site, I got my card from dabs and no doubt they wont exchange it now!!

click here

This one has the connector for ribbon cable top left hand corner.

At least I know why dvd wont play!!

If u know where in UK I can get this card let me know. Of course if there is a work round let me know that too. I am gpoing to check that new card one more time but I am positice there is no ribbon connector.

sanap

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 12 Nov 04

I'm using a 32mb version of the GEFORCE2 MX 400 DVDs play ok, If the cables are connected as per my earlier post then should play.

Sound without video is also a symptom of incorrect region setting i.e playing and american region 1 DVD when your software is set to region 2. What are you using to play the DVD PowerDVD?

roy 16:27 12 Nov 04

You originally needed the hardware accelerator card because your processor was not up to DVD's; I had a Pentium 2 500 at that time with one. I have since updated that machine with a newer motherboard and faster processor and it plays DVD's ok with a Geforce 64 Mb card without an accelerator. All of this is not much use to you but I doubt whether any new graphics cards will have the connector you need.

Peter 16:40 12 Nov 04

You could update your DVD player, as well as your already updated graphics card. You could go for one of the new dual layer DVD recorders.

Peter.

SANAP 19:37 12 Nov 04

fruit bat, it is all coming back to me now!! When I got PC the gospel then was get a hardware dvd accelerator card as othrwise u would lose quality, it takes away a lot of the processing power from the cpu. Anyway the dvd card sits in a pci slot next to the AGP graphics card and the ribbon cable connects the 2. If I had realised these cards with the dvd input were no longer available I would have looked on ebay for a 2nd 256. I did just now and they are there, starting at 99p!! I may get one but I like my new display!!

I will try a software dvd player as well just out of interest.

thanks all for replies.

sanap

SANAP 19:37 12 Nov 04

fruit bat, it is all coming back to me now!! When I got PC the gospel then was get a hardware dvd accelerator card as othrwise u would lose quality, it takes away a lot of the processing power from the cpu. Anyway the dvd card sits in a pci slot next to the AGP graphics card and the ribbon cable connects the 2. If I had realised these cards with the dvd input were no longer available I would have looked on ebay for a 2nd 256. I did just now and they are there, starting at 99p!! I may get one but I like my new display!!

I will try a software dvd player as well just out of interest.

thanks all for replies.

sanap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…