MY DOUBLE CLICK ON SHORTCUTS NO LONGER WORK.

SANAP 10:17 20 Nov 03

os is win98se and yesterday I had to run scandisk all the way through and pc rebooted ok. However, on the desktop where I have all my shortcuts they no longer open using the double click. I have in fact to right click and then select open, not very short! What has happened and can I recover the situation?.

I keep PC switched on and a bit reluctant to do a shutdown and re-boot just yet.

sanap

DieSse 10:21 20 Nov 03

Somehow you may just have got the double-click time set to the fastes possible - it's almost impossible to use then. Go to the Control Panel - Mouse - and make sure the double-click speed box is in the middle of the speed range.

SANAP 10:31 20 Nov 03

No, just looked and speed is ok. Actually when I double click the shortcut I get windows explorer properties window so the double click works but does not do what it should do ie open the package.

Thnanks for reply.

sanap

Kitz E Kat 13:12 20 Nov 03

Try delete the shortcut and then create a new one...

My be that the scandisk removed the 'link', why i ain't got the faintest idea!!! but could be..

Try it and see what happens, won't do no harm...

Also i would reboot, sorts out lots of 'funny' problems........

pj123 13:20 20 Nov 03

You could try a registry restore. Boot your computer and keep tapping the F8 key until you get a menu. Choose Safe Mode Command Prompt Only and press Enter. When you get to the C:\ prompt type in scanreg /restore and press enter. Don't forget the space between scanreg and /restore.

You should get a window with the last five dates the computer booted properly. Select a date before the problem you have started and press Enter.

SANAP 20:06 21 Nov 03

thanks all, it sorted it itself, had a power cut and then when it re-booted all was ok, very strange

sanap

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…