My Documents too slow

Channel 21:56 01 Oct 03

Trying to open folders in My Documents takes for ever- sometimes I think the program has frozen, but it eventually gets there.I defrag regularly-every 3or 4 wks, and use Norton Cleansweep to clear out oddments.I'm a home user.I run Windows98SE on a Packard Bell Club 60 4yrs old.The machine had a new hard disk in July,I think 40Gb,and has 192Mb memory- less than half its capacity is used.

wee eddie 22:30 01 Oct 03

Just make some suitably named Folders on you desktop, and use them.

Pesala 22:41 01 Oct 03

How many documents do you have in My Documents? If you have hundreds of files in the root folder, I wonder if this might slow things down. If my guess is right, you could try organising your documents into a dozen or so subdirectories.

I have four different icons on my taskbar to open Explorer in different subdirectories. You can change the icons' properties target to suit your folder structure:

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE "C:\My Documents\Word\Work", /e

Have another icon with properties like this:

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE "C:\My Documents\Access\Work", /e

I have eighteen subdirectories and just two zip archives in My Documents. Some of the subdirectories are further subdivided for different projects.
One for each of your major projects or programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…