My Documents randomly switches to Default location

tallboy 10:00 27 Jun 09

In order to separate my documents from Windows XP, I keep them in a 'My Documents' folder in a separate partition. (E:)

A couple of times this week when I have clicked on the Start / My Documents folder, the folder has been empty. On investigation, I have discovered that XP has switched to the default 'My Documents' folder on the C: drive - which is empty, since all my documents are on the E: drive.

Why does it do this and how can I stop it doing it in the future? (This is the first time it has started doing it in the 5 years I have been using XP)

I have now re-set XP to go to 'My Documents' in the E: partition. Hopefully that is the way it will stay set.

Technotiger 10:20 27 Jun 09

Also check your settings in Start>Control Panel>Folder Options

mimosa418 10:47 27 Jun 09

Have you used something lie the Special Folders setting in Tweak UI to make the folder in your E: drive the default My Documents

tallboy 22:14 27 Jun 09

Thanks for your replies Technotiger & mimosa418. I have checked the settings via Start>Control Panel>Folder Options and all is as expected there.

Not familiar with 'Tweak UI' mimosa418. Is this a seperate app? I've not come across it in XP.

I have done several restarts and a couple of Registry scans today, and all is well. (i.e. 'My Documents' has not reverted to the default C: drive.)

The only thing I have been doing over the past week or so which might have a bearing on it, is updating drivers. Would changing any of these reset the 'My Documents' folder to the default setting?

Technotiger 08:08 28 Jun 09

Tweak UI (or Powertoys for XP) is a very useful addition to have click here

tallboy 09:24 28 Jun 09

Many thanks for the link Technotiger. I have loaded Tweak UI onto my PC. It looks like a useful tool to have.

I have also just updated another driver and the link to 'My Documents' is still correct. May be it was one or two specific driver updates that made the unexpected change. (It has happened twice.)

mimosa418 09:26 28 Jun 09

Thanks technotiger for passing on that link I have been away for a day.
Ashampoo Winoptimiser click here
would also do the job but unfortunately is not free though trial available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…