My documents folder in WinXP

narke 18:49 20 Jan 03
  narke 18:49 20 Jan 03

I recently had to format and re-install Win98 to cure a problem with my Tiscali broadband set up (their technical support dept. idea). I had a dual boot 98 & XP setup and found that the computer did not offer an option of XP on bootup. I re-installed XP on the D drive without formatting. My question is, I now find myself with 2 folders in the documents and settings folder, one is from the previous XP installation (I seem to have given the computer a diffent name when I installed XP). Is it safe to delete this folder or will it mess up my system.

A Cat Called George 18:55 20 Jan 03

I would suggest you place all the files you wish to keep from the 2 "my documents" in the new folder, then delete the old one. This will be perfectly safe as long as you make sure all the files are in it first. However, just to make sure set a system restore point first so your changes can be reversed.

narke 19:35 20 Jan 03

Thanks George, I've copied the files that I have created, its the other folders inside that concern me, these include hidden folders (Windows,NTUSER.DAT,templates,Nethood,Printhood, and others) some of these are empty, some have files in them. Should I discard these as you suggest or just leave well alone.

flecc 19:58 20 Jan 03

If they duplicate the new ones, you can delete them as they are part of the non functional old system. I've done this previously without ill effect.

narke 20:07 20 Jan 03

Thanks, I've now done the deed and I'll see how it goes. I've set a restore point as George suggested just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…