"My Documents"

fazer 14:38 29 Apr 05

Excuse my ignorance folks, but how do I delete the "My Documents" folder which in addition to sitting under "C" is also under "Desktop"?

When I delete it whilst in Explorer, it does in fact disappear but does not hit the Recycle Bin. When I then re-open explorer, the My Documents folder is back where it was!

The reason I want to delete it from under Desktop is because the folder in its entirety is duplicated - therefore, I am assuming this duplicate file is taking up space (or am I being thick?).

Windows XP.

Jackcoms 14:42 29 Apr 05

Not exactly sure what you mean, but isn't My Documents "under Desktop" (as you call it), not just a shortcut to the My Documents folder?

GroupFC 14:47 29 Apr 05

I think that's exactly what it is. It's not on your system twice, a better and simpler expalnation is that there are two ways of accessing it. Either from the item "sitting under your desktop" or from c>documents and settings>etc.

gudgulf 14:51 29 Apr 05

Don't worry they are not actually duplicated folders,it's just Windows making more short cuts than perhaps it needs to.In Explore,if you use all the little "-" buttons to close everything down as far as possible you will find that what you have to choose from are all the default Desktop(at least if you remember the Win98 desktop) items such as My Computer,My Documents,Recycle Bin,My Network Places and any folders you have put on the desktop.If you open My computer with the "+" you will get access to all the shortcuts for all drives and folders which of course includes your My Documents folder again.

Hope that helps.

fazer 15:04 29 Apr 05

Thanks both.

Are you saying then, that even though this folder sitting immediately under "Destop" is an exact copy (including subfolders, being able to be opened, and size etc) of the "My documents" folder under "C", it is just a shortcut and is not taking up space?

Curio 15:17 29 Apr 05

or others - Start, Right Click on My Documents, remove tick against 'Show on Desktop'. Applies to' My Computer' and 'My Network Places' as well

gudgulf 15:23 29 Apr 05

That's it exactly......essentially you can have as many shortcuts as you want but they all lead to the one and only real My Documents folder.

fazer 15:28 29 Apr 05

Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…