my dial up speed of desktop is always constant

aluri 11:28 30 May 06

my dial up speed is always 31.2 kbps. i have connected the same account in my freinds computer . he is also using the same configuration and os as that of mine. so he is getting 46.9 and odd kbps . so why my pc is having constant rate. will the modem speed setting may effect htis. i have checked it also all the data transfer rates are high.can any body solve this problem.

Belatucadrus 11:51 30 May 06

How old is the modem ? If it's an old 36K model it'll be well worth swapping for a 56K one.
If not he may simply have a better phone connection than you.

961 11:53 30 May 06

Firstly, the connection rate displayed in the system tray is usually the initial rate at which the dial up is made, and often does not show the variations that follow

If your connection seems to be limited to around 32kbps then your modem may have old software that could be updated to carry up to 56kbps, or your telephone line may have a limitation set by BT. In that case ask them if they can increase the gain. (You may then get a slight echo on voice calls)

terryf 11:57 30 May 06

Before you get a new modem, you could consider going BBand cos I believe costs are getting lower, try click here they allow a month by month contract

Belatucadrus 12:00 30 May 06

You could also try one of the free accelerators, though the performance hikes they claim are ridiculously optimistic.

click here Connection booster

click here Internet accelerator.

aluri 12:06 30 May 06

they are automatically installed in the system

961 15:00 30 May 06

If your modem is new then it is likely that the quality of your phone line is the problem

woodchip 15:04 30 May 06

Drivers are the problem on a Dial-Up modem. If your ISP only supports V90 Dial-Up and you have later V92 Modem then the ISP will drop in speed if it does not support V92.

You may be able to get a old V90 driver. That's what I had to do with My Laptop when I was on Dial-Up

Stuartli 15:39 30 May 06

DialUp modems are strange things. I attempted to get one to work at more than 33.6kbps at a friend's house for many hours, but without success. His line was perfect.

But if I brought the system case round to my home it would immediately log in at 44-46kbps....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…