My desktop icons for some programs have changed

DavidM4 19:12 22 Feb 04

All of a sudden my some of my icons have changed from an identifing picture to a little white window icon (white square with a blue line across the top with 3 little yellow dots on the right of the line). I'm very limited in my computer knowledge so this may be something very simple but it is doing my head in so any help would be brilliant and don't laugh at me.

bremner 19:15 22 Feb 04

Have you recently installed some software that is now the default program for a picture file type.

This icon will be associated with this program.

For example all my jpegs now have the Paint Shop Pro icon as that is my default jpeg program.

DavidM4 19:20 22 Feb 04

How do I remedy this and remember I'm a bit computer thick so be easy on me.

bremner 19:24 22 Feb 04

In Explorer (Windows key + E) if you click once on one of the affected files and then choose Tools>Folder Options>File Types you click on the change button in 'Open with' and you can can choose which program to open the files with.

Diodorus Siculus 19:26 22 Feb 04

Get TweakUI from and install it. It has an option to fix / rebuild icons.

DavidM4 19:32 22 Feb 04

cheers fellas I'll try these suggestions and see if they work. Thanks for your help and I'll let you know, cheers.

DavidM4 21:25 22 Feb 04

Couldn't manage the explorer tip but the tweakUI tip worked a treat, thanks guys GENIUS.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…