My data E drive is seriously low on space

StarStalker 11:09 07 Oct 10

My data e drive is now red! I dont know how to clear anymore space, I have deleted alot of the old backup files, but its still running low.
I have a toshiba satellite L300-1DN, it says my ram is 3.00gb my C drive is saying I have 60gb free, and my e is showing just 4.92 gb free. Im not sure what other information you need to know.

Proclaimer 11:17 07 Oct 10

What you want to do about it...

It's a laptop, the drive can be upgraded but that really isn't the best solution as I suspect there is just one drive in there with E: being a Partition.

You have 60 GB on the C: Partition, you could move stuff to that Drive. Perhaps you cold burn data off to a couple of DVD's permanently instead of having it on the laptop. Or you could splash out on an External USB Drive.

Last but not least you could be ruthless in your quest for more space by checking what programs and files you Really need on there and getting rid of those that you don't.

StarStalker 11:21 07 Oct 10

I cant seem to see anything on E that I can delete though? And I cannot afford to buy a new external drive.

mimosa418 11:23 07 Oct 10

You could resize your partitions and gain some space. 20gb should be more than ample free space for your C: drive.
That would give you some time to consider alternatives. An external HD is fairly cheap for another 500gb.

mimosa418 11:23 07 Oct 10

Sorry about the advice our coments crossed.

StarStalker 11:30 07 Oct 10

Thank you, how do I resize the partition?

Proclaimer 11:38 07 Oct 10

when drives are full. Data has to be written back and forth to preserve all the data ad the drives resize.

Best short term solution is Move date from E: to C: and don't install much more if any more software.

On a side note, what is installed that you just can't delete? Or, what is taking up so much room, images video, what?

StarStalker 11:45 07 Oct 10

All of my files pictures music etc are on C that I am aware of, the only things I seem to be able to access on E are backup files only, HDD Recovery, media id bin and R10233en tag.

robin_x 12:17 07 Oct 10

Partition tools here
click here;rbxcdl.2.a.3

Backups to your main drive are risky anyway. If the drive fails you lose everything.

An external usb HDD is essential these days really.

500GB-1TB available for £50-70. Save your pennies.

In the meantime, search e:\*.* and click on the size column to see if you have overlooked any large files you have overlooked

woodchip 13:11 07 Oct 10

If you alter your Partitions at all Recovery will no longer work. Best way to find out what partition size and free space is by, Double click My Computer then Right click the Drive Properties, Blue is used Space Pink, is Free Space Tell us exactly what you have.

woodchip 13:13 07 Oct 10

I Just bought a Seagate Freeagent Goflex USB drive 250Gb for about £34 from Maplins as it on offer at the moment

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009