My cursor freezes & locks my pooter

hot.stan 02:21 18 Mar 03

Occasionally, normally just after start up, when I go to insert my cursor in a text field to type a web page or do a search my mouse freezes. The whole system locks up and I have to manually restart. I have all latest graphics,sound, mobo drivers etc.
Sometimes I get a keyboard error at start up which also may have something to do with it. The problem only started when I reinstalled my whole system.
Thanks in advance for your help.

AndySD 03:11 18 Mar 03

Is the keyboard USB?

What is your Operating System?

hot.stan 22:45 18 Mar 03

yes its USB. Im using XP home on an Athlon 2000, with a via mobo, gf4600 & audigy soundcard

AndySD 23:34 18 Mar 03

Lets try looking at whats loading at startup first.
Go Start choose Run and type in

msconfig

click ok. Now in the startup tab untick anything Not Required click here for the list.

hot.stan 19:02 19 Mar 03

I have hardly anything happening at start up apart from what I consider essential as Im quite fussy about that. Ive just had a brainstorm today and I think it may be my cable modem. I only got broadband just after my reinstall. It caused me a few probs with my firewire port which I managed to sort out so maybe its that.
Thanks for your suggestions

Templar1961 19:15 19 Mar 03

Does your broadband connect to your PC via Firewire? I thought all the main suppliers, BT, Freeserve etc. provided broadband connection via USB?

hot.stan 00:33 20 Mar 03

no it doesnt. The firewire port shows up under network connections for some reason. when I was outputting to my DV camcorder via the firewire port I was losing images. Disabling my USB modem corrects this. That is what makes me think that my modem is somehow affecting my keyboard as it did my firewire port

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…