Is my CPU too slow for this graphics card?

CurlyWhirly 00:41 06 Feb 06

I currently have a Radeon X800 Pro graphics card and I have recently taken advantage of a good second hand deal as I have purchased a Radeon X850 XT graphics card as a replacement.

As this has a faster memory and core speed along with 16 pixel pipelines instead of the 12 that I have now, does anyone know if my current Athlon XP 3000+ will act as a bottleneck to it's performance?

This purchase is only temporary as eventually I intend on upgrading to a 64 bit PC but I'm just curious.

Stuartli 09:15 06 Feb 06

Even a modest CPU is capable of a staggering processing capability, so I doubt your Athlon will prove a barrier.

The specs for your card (seemingly now replaced) can be found at:

click here

CurlyWhirly 09:33 06 Feb 06

Thanks Stuartli.

I *didn't* buy the card new but bought it second hand off a OCUK forum member as he is going down the PCI Express route and wanted to sell this card even though it's only a few months old!

I took advantage of the offer as the asking price was only £100 which was subsctantially less than the RRP.

Even though it is now obsolete, it is quite a bit faster than my current X800 Pro and will do me until I myself go down the PCI Express route in the near future.

Rigga 09:44 06 Feb 06

Whether your computer is CPU or GPU bound when playing games, depends hugely on the game that you are playing, and how much CPU work it does between each frame.

A game that uses sophisticated AI routines, or physics tend to get CPU bound a lot more than games with little or no AI or physics.

So the answer to your question is very much dependant on which game you are playing.

HTH. R.

Stuartli 09:45 06 Feb 06

You did state in your thread that you "took advantage" of a good secondhand deal...:-)

Nothing wrong with grabbing a bargain - it's somewhat superior to my GeForce 5200...:-(

CurlyWhirly 12:28 09 Feb 06

Update:

I thought that my X850 XT card was faulty as when I ran benchmarks or games, my PC crashed with a blank screen and no keyboard or mouse input.

What had happened was that the following 4 settings were ON by default which were responsible for the crashes, namely:

PCI Read, PCI Write, AGP Read and AGP Write.

click here

In 3D Mark 05 it got to a test and just froze and so I had to do a soft reset and in 3D Mark 2001, at the start of the benchmark I got a 'fatal hardware' error with the following info posted in an error log - "FATAL ERROR: failed to validate material".

On my previous SMARTGART screen (when I used to have an X800 Pro), I only had the one option 'Fast write' which was on and NEVER caused me any instability.

click here

p.s. As the card is an AGP card, I can't quite get my head around the fact that 'PCI Read and Write' are options?

Despite many hours of head scratching, I now know that the instability was caused by the 'PCI Read and Write' and the 'AGP Read and Write' settings being on by DEFAULT.

I am amazed that these 4 options are enabled by default as they are bound to cause problems as only having the ONE enabled resulted in a crash again!

Now I know to keep them ALL disabled in future as they are more trouble than they are worth!

I am just posting this in case anyone else had the same trouble as me.
Everything is running okay again now :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…