My CPU Temp is 49 c /120 f is that right ????

pokemom 00:42 15 May 06

im slightly worried by the tempreture as its like gone up 10 dedgrees since its starteds up and been on and just crashed is there any program that i can check sytem stability as it on a real fresh install today and only has nessacery installed ?????

Taff™ 06:46 15 May 06

Give us some details on the machine, processor etc. I have an old 98SE machine and I`m sure I read that it ran betwen 37-54 degrees - celcius I think.

Stuartli 09:09 15 May 06

Nothing wrong with that temperature - my Athlon XP 3200+ (AMD CPUs tend to run hotter than most) is around 58 degrees C when in use and about 50-52 degrees C when idling.

In fact my KT6V motherboard is normally running at just below the temperature you mention.

Stuartli 09:11 15 May 06

These links will ease your mind:

click here

click here

I have my Bios set to shut down the CPU if the temperature rises to 70 degrees C (maximum is 85 degrees C), just in case the cooling fan packs up.

pokemom 10:07 15 May 06

excellent stuartli thanks for that ,as im sure most of the team know the specs ,but for the otherrs ,its only AMD 2500+ moby,jetway polaris 400 VIA KT 400 ,with 512 ddr ,thanks again stu

pokemom 10:10 15 May 06

Sorry stu ,anything on stability tests ?????

Totally-braindead 10:13 15 May 06

The danger level, when you should start to worry, depends on the processor. I can only comment on AMDs not Intels as I don't know their thermal ratings. AMD chips, Athlons will not blow until about 80-85 degrees celcius, however having said that you don't want it to get close to it. If, and remember I'm talking about Athlons here, the temps reach 60-65 degrees celcius on load I would start to get concerned and do something about it.
Your temperature doesn't sound like its any problem. If Stuartlis links don't help I'm sure if you post back with what processor you have someone will tell you the temperatures for it.

Stuartli 10:34 15 May 06

As I mentioned earlier, I have the cut off point for my Athlon XP 3200+ set at 70 degrees C in the Bios just in case the (giant) Gigabyte cooling fan packs up.

Cheaper to buy a cooling fan than an Athlon...:-)

pokemom 12:08 15 May 06

yeah sorry im just assuming you know sorry again its a:AMD barton core ,ATHLON XP 2500+

Stuartli 14:52 15 May 06
  Totally-braindead 16:56 15 May 06

It was a 2500+ Barton I had before the one I have now, a friend has it now still going strong. Temperatures for mine were about 45- 50 degrees on idle up to 60 degrees when it was under load and we were in really hot weather, I also had my set in the BIOS to 70 degrees for shutdown same as Stuartli. My temps were a little bit high by a couple of degrees I think but nothing to be worried about.

In short your temperature is normal. You could fit another case fan or a better more powerful one or even upgrade the CPU fan for a newer better one if you are still concerned, but if this is the temperature you get at idle then its normal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…