my cpu temp...

*Silver*Hawk* 18:31 24 Jan 05

Hello all, I am quite worried about this, although my computer is running ok, I would like to know if the temperature im getting is ok.

I just had a look in BIOS and my AMD Athlon 2800+ XP chip is running at 60 degrees. Last time I looked it was running at 53 degrees although that might have been because I had just switched it on.

Does temperature affect overall performance at all, and does anyone have a method of cooling this chip down? Im thinking of getting a new mother board soon which is exactly the same as my current one so a change of fan would be an appropriate time to do that. Any suggestions for good quiet cpu heatsinks and fans?

Thanks in advance

p.s. I would be grateful if any suggestions on new heatsinks and fans are cheap. :-)

ACOLYTE 18:43 24 Jan 05
  georgemac 18:59 24 Jan 05

My xp3000 runs at 60 to 65 degC under full load (cpu @ 100%) - this is when it will be warmest - I would not like it to go above 70 degC. They should be able to run up to 85 or 90 degC before any instability occurs, but it depends how good the thermal probe is. My case is in a built in unit - airflow is poor.

You could spend a fortune on cooling. What you need is

1. good airflow into and out of the case - preferably a case with a lot of room inside it, one fan at the front bottom blowing in coole air and 1 exhuast fan at the back sucking out the hot air.

2. A psu with twin fans also helps I think.

3. Good heatsink and fan, properly fitted with thermal paste (not too much)

4. No blockages to the air flow with ide cables - round cables are best.

click here white_papers_and_tech_docs/cooling_guide.pdf amd cooling guide - I changed my psu to a single fan only by mistake but it never made much difference to my temps

Dorsai 19:04 24 Jan 05

My AMD runs at around 50c 24/7, so the temp of yours is not a problem in it's self.

If yours has recently started running hotter however, this could perhaps be town to several things.

A> The CPU fan/heatsink/case fans are getting 'fluffed up' with general houshold dust. Easy to check, open the case and see if the they think with dust.

B> The fan is failing, and running slower than it used to. Harder to check visually, but a slow running fans normally seem to get very noisy as they fail. I fueee you would have noticed if the PC was suddenly more noisy than it used to be.

C> You could have a program running full time in the background, that is causing your CPU to run hotter than it used to. But a simple CTRL ALT DEL should bring up a list of running process. In Win XP, the task manager will also show what % of CPU usage the process's are using. Normally when the PC is not doing enything, 'system Idle Process' shows at 99%. If some other process is using lots of CPU power when the PC is not being used, this might be the cause. It is unlikey that this is your problem however, as if you have some malware on the PC you would probably also have noticed that the PC was running sluggishly.

Perhaps somthing else?

My money is on A. The fan being fluffed up. But like I said, 59c in it self is not a problem.

georgemac 19:07 24 Jan 05

click here for tiny url link to the cooling guide - and also avoid anything that is too noisy - it will drive you made

961 19:13 24 Jan 05

If you go to the AMD web site you will find a list of max operating temperatures for your processor

Athlon xp 2800 will run at up to 85 deg without difficulty

The temperature you are running at is just fine

It will vary according to the load on your processor

*Silver*Hawk* 20:35 24 Jan 05

Thanks all. I do have a problem with noise however. Most of the time, but not always, when I start up the pc, there is a weird churning noise and when I kick the side of the pc a little it stops and sounds normal again. I don't know whats causing it. Might be the fan.

JonnyTub 20:47 24 Jan 05

probably a fan just want's replacing or a little machine oil dribbled into it.

Totally-braindead 20:52 24 Jan 05

It certainly sounds like the fan, try cleaning out the inside of the PC using a hoover and a clean dry paint brush, make sure its disconnected first and be careful not to bash anything. If its still noisy try to work out which fan it is and get a replacement, if its one of the case fans they're only about £5 if its the power supply fan then you'll need a new power supply, probably about £40. Try the cleaning first though and if it is a fan its probably the case fan thats at fault. My computer runs a little cooler than yours but if one of your fans isn't working properly then that may be the cause of the temperature rise anyway. By the way kicking the PC is generally thought not to be a good idea although I've often thought about throwing mine out the window.

*Silver*Hawk* 22:23 24 Jan 05

hehe, well light kicks won't harm it. Mine's a self built machine, so I know it inside out. I'm going to change most of the fans anyway and also the case to try and make it much quieter. Sounds like a hoover atm.

Chezdez 22:26 24 Jan 05

mines a 2600+, and it seems to run fine at 61 degrees at the mo

(you may remember my post about it overheating, i've put it back upto 2.083GHz, it seems to have calmed down some for no apparent reason)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…