Is my CPU running ok?

Sisha 09:11 09 Apr 04

I have just purchased an AMD XP 2700 cpu for my system. I am running this on a Soltek SL-75MRN Mobo with 512K Crucial DDR memory, 80GB Seagate barracuda hardrive running on XP HE.
Is there any software that will allow me to test the speed it is running at or compare it with other similar CPU’s?

Diodorus Siculus 09:25 09 Apr 04

click here is one that is popular - do a search for benchmarking on google and you will find lots.

My view is that if it does what I want, and does it comfortably, then it is working fine.

Sisha 09:36 09 Apr 04

Thanks for that.
True what you say but I use the machine for games mainly and recently a lot of them are hardware hungry (Far cry is a good example).
I have to admit I to beleive in "if it aint broke dont fix it" but its wither that or the games play cr*!p

Diodorus Siculus 09:41 09 Apr 04

Well, if the games don't play well, it is "broke" in a manner of speaking. So therefore, try to fix it!

3dmark 2001 is a useful benchmarker for games; but it is a big download. As I say, do a google search for

games benchmarking utlities

and see what it throws up.

Sisha 09:55 09 Apr 04

Will give a few a go. thanks for that

I think if you are mainly into gaming, you have missed out the most important component! What graphics card are you running?

My system is almost identical to yours, XP 2600+ with 512 Mb of Crucial RAM, i have a Radeon 9600 Atlantis Pro card and this setup runs any game thrown at it. And that a low/mid price graphics card.

Duncan

Sisha 11:59 09 Apr 04

Radeon 9600 Pro!

pickle factory 16:24 09 Apr 04

There's a good analyser here click here You can benchmark your CPU performance against manufacturer spec.

Well, we have the same system then!! I have not found a game that does not run great, Doom 3 is going to be the test! Have you made sure your new CPU is actually running as a 2700?

Try Sandra SiSoft, will tell you how everything is ticking along, sorry no link, just plug the name into google.

Sisha 12:07 10 Apr 04

Thanks everyone

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:31 10 Apr 04

N-Bench is good for AMD CPU's as a bentch mark its more generous with the scores than 3D-Mark but its made AMD to test there CPU's,3D-Mark 2003/4 is good but you need high end components to run the tests.

Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…