My computer won't shut down

capricorn45 23:35 17 Jan 06

I have an emachine,microsoft millennium edition.
Sometimes it will shut down ok, but 80%of the time it just comes up with a blue screen saying "windows protection error you need to restart your computer,system halted.-, but I have tried pressing everything to restart but the computer just doesn't respond to anything.
I would appreciated it if anyone knows what is causing this, as I have to keep pulling the plug out to switch it off. thank you.

Thalmus 23:42 17 Jan 06

To save you pulling the plug out just push in the power button for about 5 seconds and that will cit the power.

As for your problem, try checking your system files, click start > run and type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes, and you'll need your ME install CD)

Thalmus 23:45 17 Jan 06

Sorry scrub that, i for Me doesn't have the SFC, have you tired scanning for viruses/spyware?

Thalmus 23:45 17 Jan 06

"i forgot that me......"

Skyver 23:48 17 Jan 06

Also, unplug any hardware apart from mouse/kbd/monitor and see if you get the same problem on shutdown.

BRYNIT 01:21 18 Jan 06

click here this may help. Microsoft help page with ref to windows protection error

Mavericke 11:09 18 Jan 06

Have you installed all the known updates for WinME?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…