My computer will not boot up.

FinalHolmes 10:50 26 Jun 03

At the moment I am trying to fix a computer for a friend, the computer is a Qtech, Windows ME came with the computer, the only CD I have for the computer is a Qtech recovery CD.

I recently wiped the hard drive using DriveScrubber, this was the first time the drive had been wiped, when I start the computer up I get the following message.....Verifying DMI Pool Data..... Boot from ATAPI CD-Rom Disk boot Failure, insert system Disk and press enter.

In Advanced Bios Features The first boot device is CDROM
The second device is Floppy
The third device is HDD-0

I checked the Qtech recovery CD on another computer and it works fine.

What could be wrong ? any help would be great

Many thanks FinalHolmes

the flying monkey 11:03 26 Jun 03

this happened to me just the other day (i am also on Windows ME and i hate it). On startup press escape as soon as possible. This will allow you to chose a destination drive to boot the recovery CD from. Put the recovery CD in the CD drive and choose the right drive from the list and press enter. This will start the recovery CD. you can then choose what you want to do; system restore, reinstall windows, format hard disk etc. Hope that helps.

woodchip 11:07 26 Jun 03

You need to start with a Win98 or ME floppy from
click here when you have booted the computer with the disc choose to start with CD-ROM support you will need the Recovery Disc in the comp change to the CD drive letter, But remember it will have moved by one letter if it was D:\ it will be E:\you need to change to the auto run on the CD or what ever makes the CD run and press enter

FinalHolmes 11:33 26 Jun 03

Many thanks for getting back to me, first of all I tried to press escape when the computer started up...this was with no luck.
I used the windows ME floppy disc, when the computer started the following message appeared...Windows ME edition has detected that drive C does not contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition.

I was told that my CD-ROM is drive D

I am now left with A:\>

What would be my next step ?

Many thanks FinalHolmes

woodchip 12:37 26 Jun 03

You have got what is called Drive Overlay software on the computer, it is used as a easy way to setup a drive, also if the bios will not support the drive size it overcomes that. So you are still stuck with how to load. What you may have done in using DriveScrubber is you may have removed vital info for the restore disc to work. How old is the computer? can you contact Qtech for support on the problem click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…