My computer will not boot up :(

tonynoarm 22:39 27 May 09

Initially I thought it may be the hard drive, but try another all to no avail.

All comnnections have been checked.

Then thought it may be the graphics card, but not sure now as sometimes I see manufacturers name and card memory on my screen, but nothing else.

Sometimes it detacts the hard drive and then stops.

I am at a loss of what to consider replacing and would appreciate any help.

cream. 22:41 27 May 09

So the machine posts?

Disconnect the hard drives and optical drives and see if it runs through POST without an error.

tonynoarm 22:42 27 May 09

I have tried disconnecting the HDD but if I recall correctly I just get a blank screen.

cream. 22:45 27 May 09

Do you get a blank screen WITH the hard drive connected. You said it sometimes POST's

tonynoarm 22:47 27 May 09

With the HDD connected it appears to go through part of the boot up procedure, but I am not sure how far it progresses

phono 23:07 27 May 09

Disconnect the hard drive, all CD / DVD drives, floppy drives and any card readers plus adaptor cards and so on.

You are aiming to have graphics card, CPU and RAM only installed on the motherboard, now with it connected to the monitor switch it on and observe the screen, does the system now show the POST screen?

If it does power down connect one device and power on again, if the system still POSTs repeat the steps until it fails and the last device added should be the one causing the problem.

If the system does not POST power off, ensure that the graphics card, CPU and RAM are all seated correctly and try again, if it still fails try resetting the BIOS to defaults, if that fails clear the CMOS with the relevant jumper and try again.

tonynoarm 23:13 27 May 09

Phono I have tried with just those components, I think the screen stayed blank - but I will try again tomorrow evening. What exactly does POST mean please, I understand it may be part of the boot up procedure, but I do not know exactly what happens ?

tonynoarm 23:20 27 May 09

By the way, the system no longer gets as far as to allow me to enter the BIOS set-up it that helps (it did initially when the proble occured, but not any longer)

tonynoarm 23:20 27 May 09

By the way, the system no longer gets as far as to allow me to enter the BIOS set-up if that helps (it did initially when the problem first occured, but not any longer)

phono 23:24 27 May 09

POST is Power On Self Test, with those basic components installed, and provided none of them are faulty of course, the system should carry out the POST and you should see a black screen with white text, albeit the text may scroll or change rapidly.

If you are not seeing the POST screen then one or more of the motherboard, CPU, graphics card or RAM is/are defective or not properly seated.

I should have asked earlier but does the system issue any sort of beeps when you switch it on?

This could be a short single beep, one short and three long beeps or various other combinations, if it does this could be of great help in diagnosing the problem, who is the maker of the mobo and what is the model number?

phono 23:27 27 May 09

"By the way, the system no longer gets as far as to allow me to enter the BIOS set-up if that helps (it did initially when the problem first occured, but not any longer)"

Try clearing the CMOS, see mobo manual, then boot with just the basic components I mentioned previously.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…